PDA

View Full Version : Shared Hosting

jamesgreen
01-30-2006, 12:56 AM
My terms for shared hosting:

Monthly hosting charges should be under $10 per month (willing to pay upto $20 per month if host's reputation and service is excellent):

willing to pay 1 year upfront
top quality server + loads of RAM must.
multiple domains to be allowed
Minimum 500MB space + 10 GB transfer per month.
cpanel only.
good, courteous support.
Must be an established company - not one man outfits.

I took a look at lypha.com, midphase.com and westhost.com. I need opinions from forum members about the above hosts and any other reliable ones.

Thanks
JG

Martie
01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi jamesgreen,
Just a few suggestions when trying to locate reviews, feedback on a company.
You could try searching by those co. names here in the "reviews" section of HostSearch:
http://www.hostsearch.com/reviews.asp
You can also do a search on google.com by co. name. Any feedback, past and present will result.
Good Luck.

bin_asc
02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
You will get some options in your private messege :).

d.clint
02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I have not heard anything about those companies which you have mention, search here Webhostingtalk and sitepoint for better results.

NS-Icon
02-03-2006, 10:24 AM
You will get some options in your private messege :).

Just out of curiosity, what options would these be? Just hope they are not any form of self promotion.. :)

Martie
02-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, what options would these be? Just hope they are not any form of self promotion.. :)

:cool: Im sure he meant he would pm him an offer. I tell you its a constant problem with hosting forums. Web hosts that do not follow the rules and self promote ANY possible way they can. That would speak volumes to me if I were the one looking for a host. Geez!

NS-Icon
02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi,

Yes this is a constant problem, and one which we are working on, in the mean time we do appreciate users contacting us when they are approached by hosting companies with offers via the private message facility on this forum.

To be honest with you, most of the time its in the users best interest not to take up any offers like that via PM as the host itself could be banned or have lots of negative feedback which may go unnoticed via PM, however, if dealt with in the main forum other forum users can outline the negativity of the host for the user to consider.

bin_asc
02-05-2006, 05:13 PM
The thing is, no one is going to send nor post deals from other members.Hosting companies will never obey rules like this. No hardfeelings, ok ?

NS-Icon
02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I am aware that hosting companies will not follow the rules; this is why we rely on the users of the forum to get in touch if they receive a private message from a hosting provider who is advertising their service.

In the long-run it is in the user’s best interest to inform an administrator or moderator to deal with this as outlined in my previous post.

bin_asc
02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Personally, this is a crappy rule.But, who am I to complain .. :)

NS-Icon
02-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Firstly it’s not exactly a rule, just good practice. Secondly, those hosts who have intentions sending private messages for the purpose of self-advertising will find such a rule crappy.

But at the end of the day, this will help keep this forum clean, safe and not full of self-advertising hosts as you may find on other forums, keeping the place clear of spammers is a team effort which involves the forum users just as much as any administrator or moderator.

Martie
02-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Personally, this is a crappy rule.But, who am I to complain .. :)

Well its pretty much a standard rule within most all the forums Ive been too or frequent.
Its just "not polite* to send someone a PM with a special deal.
If potential clients visit these forums and want to take a look at your services its really pretty simple:
1. They can click your url within your signature.
2. If you have your business url within your profile they can simply look at that and contact you.

HMarker
02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I agree with HostCaters, it is pretty much standard rule that is present on almost all respected forum communities.

kalypsoweb
04-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Not to mention without this rule every member would probably get spammed with different offers daily.

IndigoHosts
04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
I agree with the guys.

These forums are for us as web hosts not to blatantly advertise ourselves through PM's, thats what the Advertising forums are for!

Forums such as these are made available so that we can offer help and advice to people looking for a service and not to be spammed by PM's, that's just plain rude and will get you nowhere!

Why not give a few recommendations instead, as the old saying goes "What goes around, comes around".

theheavenly
05-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Please do ask opinions from other forums too.

You can find reliable web hosts with good plans, service and support at H-Sphere's partner page. View them at psoft.net (http://www.psoft.net/resellers.php). Also check out ourinternet.us (http://www.ourinternet.us), we are receiving services from them for a few months and they are great thus for.

HMarker
05-11-2006, 08:22 AM
It is interesting that after many people replied jamesgreen, he never replied again regarding his post.

Tech_32
07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I think reseller or affiliate links posted in these forums ought to be outlawed as well.

Any good webhosting company worth it's salt, will "not" post aff links, or blow off PM's about all of their "great deals" in forums such as these.

And...

This business of setting requirements in determining a good webhost as opposed to bad is rather insidious, doncha think??

And since when does someone who pays the most for advertising, suddenly become a good hosting company??.......I know plenty that have got the big bucks, and who are worthless.

Usually it's the ones that blow the big horn about unlimited this and unlimited that, are the ones to be wary of........simpletons running a reseller hosting in their bedroom slippers sitting on the couch at home is usually all of what that amounts to.

The trick to providing a good hosting service is to put your big horn away and tend to the actual details that running a hosting business requires......

I run a full blown webhosting, design and development company. (windows and linux)......domains registration, SSL Certs, Dedicated and CoLo services......
And I get the big angst every time I come in here and see "wanna-be hosts" and worse yet......Aff links........

I'll be around in case any real server admins decide they want to engage in some real discourse........and yack around about "the real business" of webhosting services.

cbdarts
07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I think reseller or affiliate links posted in these forums ought to be outlawed as well.

Any good webhosting company worth it's salt, will "not" post aff links, or blow off PM's about all of their "great deals" in forums such as these.

And...

This business of setting requirements in determining a good webhost as opposed to bad is rather insidious, doncha think??

And since when does someone who pays the most for advertising, suddenly become a good hosting company??.......I know plenty that have got the big bucks, and who are worthless.

Usually it's the ones that blow the big horn about unlimited this and unlimited that, are the ones to be wary of........simpletons running a reseller hosting in their bedroom slippers sitting on the couch at home is usually all of what that amounts to.

The trick to providing a good hosting service is to put your big horn away and tend to the actual details that running a hosting business requires......

I run a full blown webhosting, design and development company. (windows and linux)......domains registration, SSL Certs, Dedicated and CoLo services......
And I get the big angst every time I come in here and see "wanna-be hosts" and worse yet......Aff links........

I'll be around in case any real server admins decide they want to engage in some real discourse........and yack around about "the real business" of webhosting services.

I certainly agree. The affiliate and reseller links are truthfully embarassing. Its also pitiful to see people offering what they can not afford - just to rake in some money, and not providing quality service.

I understand how you feel... I feel the same when I see someone trying to spam for the sake of it, its shameful.

But then again, it happens.

As for a recommendation - Godaddy & Hostgator seem to be good, not just in budget and plans but also in service. I have used Hostgator earlier (before I started hosting) and I must say their response time is really amazing.

Regards,
Chaitanya