PDA

View Full Version : tips for Finding the right VPS??

mesasa
07-03-2011, 09:46 PM
The market is flooded with VPS (virtual private server) hosting options. It seems everyone and their mother has a overloaded server in his/her closet. Enterprise options always seem priced insanely high, which make the ones that are cheap and claim enterprise level seem shaky.

What do you look for in a quality VPS provider (language support, 24/hr tech, etc), and how if at all do you check their credibility?

peter12
07-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Server up time
Traffic efficiency
security
24/7 technical support

Zik
07-04-2011, 03:34 AM
VPS hosting bridges the gaps between the initial and the entry level web hosting plans and the co-location. While the former offers specified services like PHP/MySQL, etc., with limited disk space on a shared server, the latter lets you fully own and control the hardware, and just rent an internet connection and a rack space from the data center.

Nile Hadwards
07-04-2011, 04:56 AM
You may ask what you will get if you use a VPS account. Firstly, you will get the access to core areas of your server. As said earlier, if you are good at working on a Linux server, you can have full access and control over everything that you wish to do.

reign1231
07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Server up time
Traffic efficiency
security
24/7 technical support

This is the best answer and it's the same as my answer. :)

join9527
07-05-2011, 03:02 AM
which make the ones that are cheap and claim enterprise level seem shaky.

Adam001
07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
I believe that the truth comes out of comparison research.. On the account of the fact I can recommend you to check such reliable hosts as Hostcats.com, Pinellashosting.com and VPSland.com - all are stable and trustworthy.
Try to compare all web hosting services, as it is a top priority for your new web host business to be well-provided with all necessary tools and choose the best.

James-A
07-10-2011, 07:27 PM
The market is flooded with VPS (virtual private server) hosting options. It seems everyone and their mother has a overloaded server in his/her closet. Enterprise options always seem priced insanely high, which make the ones that are cheap and claim enterprise level seem shaky.

What do you look for in a quality VPS provider (language support, 24/hr tech, etc), and how if at all do you check their credibility?

I will recommend you to opt for a Managed VPS server. Managed VPS hosting means the hosting provider manages the VPS for you. The hosting provider takes care of all the Technical issues which occur from time to time. He also updates the OS patches, security patches and takes care of all the security aspects of your server. If you have any issues with your server, you just need to contact your hosting provider and his support staff will take care of the issue from there onwards. As far as creditability is concerned, you might know that a Reliable host offers a 24X7 Technical support. So you can check their level of management by initiating a Live chat, call them or mail them in Midnight or in weekends. If you get a positive reply from them, you can consider them as reliable and opt for their hosting services. You must also check their SLA and TOS before signing up. You can even check their reviews on various forums and if they are having their own forums, you can check how many clients are satisfied with their services and what are the issues which the existing clients are facing.

mrkallen
07-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Bluehost is well known for providing best VPS hosting services. I'm hosting my business website with them from quite some time and they are pretty dependable in terms of services.

hostale
07-11-2011, 06:50 AM
For those that have the knowledge about how to manage a VPS then is OK one that is unmanaged and there are many options to select from. On the other hand, for those that feel more confortable having the support from the provider I would suggest a managed VPS and also out there are many alternatives where they are configured and ready set up. Some offer add-ons for a price monthly and different capacity depending what you need or if later on you decide to upgrade for one that allow you use higher resources.

hiseredman99
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
When selecting cheap website hosting, be sure that the web host provider is trustworthy. Try to ask around people about their perceptions on the web host company.

motorola4gatrix
07-19-2011, 02:41 AM
While looking for a VPS, you must look for a Managed VPS. Managed VPS hosting means the hosting provider manages the VPS for you. The hosting provider takes care of all the Technical issues which occur with the server. He also updates the OS patches, security patches and takes care of all the security issues of your server. If you have any issues with your server, you just need to contact your hosting provider and his support staff will take care of the issue from there onwards. Whereas in Unmanaged one you are the one who takes care of the server. So if there is any issue, you won't get any help from the hosting provider. This might result in downtime and you might loose your clients and suffer heavy losses. People prefer to choose a Managed VPS as compared to Unmanaged one, so that they can concentrate on their Business and let the hosting provider manage the server.

Emma121
07-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Tips on Finding the Right Web Hosting Company For You

by admin on Jun.16, 2011, under Tutorial

For the average Joe off the street looking to set up his own website, be it for business reasons or purely for entertainment, the process of selecting a Web Hosting solution can sometimes be enough to deter them from following through with their great idea. Does this sound like you? If it does, fear not! This article takes a look at some of the basic factors that should influence your decision, as well as some FAQs from others who are currently trying to select their own Web Host.

What is Web Hosting?

Web hosting is the process of storing your website on a web hosting server which is permanently connected to the internet. The simplest/cheapest web hosting packages will simply provide you with a small amount of space and bandwidth where you can store what is called a Static HTML Website. These are the simplest form of websites. Static sites don’t get updated often and are usually just a very basic source of information. More dynamic websites (websites which change and update often) require a little more from a hosting server. Dynamic sites are usually sites which require scripts to be run and installed on the hosting server. The most popular scripting languages often required for dynamic sites are ASP, ASP.NET, PHP and PERL. Dynamic sites will also need servers that have access to a database. Therefore, before even starting to decide on a host, it is important that you know exactly what sort of website you want to set up.

Where can I find out about different Web Hosts?

Well, if you have any friends in the internet industry, ask them who they’d recommend. Otherwise, simply type "Web hosting South Africa" into Google and browse some of the top results in South Africa.

What makes a good Web Hosting Company?

There are three main factors that should influence your decision when deciding on a Web Hosting site:

SECURITY: You need to make sure that the host has a proven track record of being safe and secure. Ensure that they have the correct measures in place to avoid being hacked by any unwanted computer nerds.

RELIABILITY: Check out the host’s uptime track record. "Uptime" refers to the percentage of time that the hosts are actually online and people are actually able to access your site. Smaller, less well renowned hosts tend to have a lot of downtime due to technical errors or teething problem which is why more reputable companies such as Web Africa, who have been around the block and back, are a much better option.

SERVICE: This is a huge factor. As a webmaster of your site, you will most likely need to be in close contact with the hosting company on a regular basis. It is important that they have suitable processes in place that enable you to contact them without any fuss or issues. Some companies have instant web messengers which allow you to chat instantly to support technicians. Others have dedicated emergency phone lines that mean you will never be stuck in a caller queue.

Do not settle for anything but the best, even if it means you have to pay a little extra instead of getting free web hosting.

Should you host locally or overseas?

Technically speaking, it doesn’t really matter. In the past, their used to be massive differences in response time if you were accessing servers overseas, but thanks to fiber optic cables and other technical trends, it is no longer an issue. Factors you do need to consider however are payment, cost and time zones.

Ken Peterson
07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
i agree with you. First Of all check the review of all we hosting service and then take a decision.

jasmine bell
07-20-2011, 05:11 AM
First, I recommend you have a good idea of your needs and then take a overview to other users. Check what is the server's downtime/uptime? what is the security level to that particular provider? and about their technical support???

James-A
07-23-2011, 07:12 AM
It is essential to consider that the web host offers the VPS servers of the best quality. A virtual private server must provide with superior connectivity to ensure that each server ensures optimum performance and flexibility in order to run large websites and install third party applications with ease.

jimfaster
08-18-2011, 05:28 AM
The purchase of a VPS is like buying any other type of accommodation. Just do your homework. Look at several providers and select three or four that you think are good for you. This is the most important "needs." Make sure you know what you want before you go shopping.

Are you using the VPS a forum in which he grew up in a shared hosting? If so, then you must make sure that growth is going to be easy for you to increase resources. look at the different types of VPS. Xen for various types of operating systems, or perhaps OpenVZ has a lower server load, but is limited in the operating system can perform. VPS provider have a range of dedicated servers so you can continue to grow with the same company?

Are you a reseller web host, it needs to expand? Then search for companies that specialize in this area.

zita
08-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Good tips on Finding the right VPS...
Thanks for taking your time to discuss it.

funnypup
09-08-2011, 09:05 AM
speed is the major fact which u should consider

gwenngal27
09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Im glad to be here.

jocelyn13
09-09-2011, 12:30 AM
i do agree to this post.. thank for this..!!

jamsen
03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Ensure your hosting provider offers adequate security options to ensure the integrity of your virtual private server. This means secure shell access, lots of backups, and ideally some kind of firewall. Otherwise, you’re putting your Internet data at risk: A fate we assume you’d rather avoid if possible.

om2580
01-09-2015, 08:35 AM
nice inforamtion,thanks for sharing with us

Olin Lamanna
01-12-2015, 02:50 AM
The best hosting providers offer extremely high uptime guarantees. Do not settle for anything less than the best.

SerinaMAhren
01-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Focus on following factors also to choose the reliable vps hosting services:
Platform, Customer server, Reasonable pricing, Security, Control Panel.

bidaddy
05-10-2017, 01:53 AM
In the present scenario, VPS hosting has become an easy and popular solution for most of the businesses. VPS hosting is a completely customizable and upgradable solution and this is why businesses prefer to invest in it instead of the conventional cloud solutions. Moreover, business owners who like to get a bit of control over the environment, can enjoy the same with a VPS hosting solution. With this new age hosting solution, the users can install the software on their own and customize the environment, based on their own requirement. In fact, there are many hosting providers who offer both fully managed as well as semi-managed servers.

aegisinfoways
11-18-2017, 01:48 AM
Bluehost is well known for offering best VPS hosts. I'm website hosting service my business website with them from quite some time and they are pretty reliable with regards to solutions.

thewinin
12-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Top Six Factors That will Help in Choosing the Right VPS Hosting

Factor 1: Windows or Linux
Factor 2: Unmanaged or Managed
Factor 3: Scalability and Redundancy
Factor 4: Cloud-based or Conventional VPS
Factor 5: Server Specifications and Configurations
Factor 6: Customer Support

harry_v
12-07-2017, 07:18 AM

You need to check below points before going for a VPS.
1. Guaranteed Uptime with SLA
2. 24/7 Live Chat and Ticket support
3. Free Backup of VPS
4. Low cost of VPS.
5. DDoS protection provided or not.
6. Check out reviews of real users.
7. Make use of money back guarantee. (If it does not meet your requirement cancel server and get full refund).

You can check AccuWeb Hosting as they pass all of the above points.

Scopehosts
12-14-2017, 11:46 PM
- Stability and Flexibility
- Dedicated Resources
- Root Access
- Isolated Environment
- Dedicated IP
are the main features of VPS.

manoharparakh
10-08-2020, 01:59 AM
First of all, decide what operating system do you want?

Is it a Windows or Linux and accordingly choose the Windows VPS or Linux VPS respectively.

Following features you must look for before choosing VPS hosting.

(i) 100% dedicated Resources

(ii) Full Administrator Access

(iii) Plesk control panel

(iv) Latest technologies updated like IIS, ASP. NET, PHP, FrontPage Extensions, etc.

(v) Easy VPS Upgrades

(vi) Affordable Price

jesica
10-08-2020, 07:49 AM
Customer Reviews
Uptime Guarantee (SLA)
Support Quality & Reply Time
Storage (HDD)
Processor (CPU)
Unmanaged or Self-Managed VPS Hosting
Fully-Managed VPS Hosting Location

jerryperes
10-13-2020, 02:36 AM
VPS is widely considered the natural progression for companies upgrading from shared hosting. Affordable, high-performance and inherently more secure, it provides exceptionally more resources for just a small increase in price. While VPS might be the right decision, finding the best hosting (https://easy.gr/en/hosting/managed-hosting) provider and package needs some consideration. Here are some important tips to help you make the right choice.

Latency and location
Expertise
Security

jerryperes
10-14-2020, 02:38 AM
Customer Reviews
Uptime Guarantee (SLA)
Support Quality & Reply Time
Storage (HDD)
Processor (CPU)
Unmanaged or Self-Managed VPS Hosting
Fully-Managed VPS Hosting Location

yes all the points are very informative

Asgard87
10-15-2020, 11:41 AM

That's a very good question. I have had so many good and bad experiences which actually led me to narrow down my search and then utilizing a provider for the most part of my career as a web developed.

In a host, I first look at how trustworthy the brand is, whether they have a good support team with great response time and whether they understand the nature of my query and deliver accordingly when it comes to any kind of hosting, even VPS.

Because the technology is virtually private fostered by KVM it could be tricky and hosting companies often face the issue of putting data on servers that are slow, which takes the uptime down. So I prefer a VPS provider which has high uptime with KVM backed infra or even cloud-backed VPS.

The next thing I look for is the costing for plans. It has to fit within the budget, anything below USD 30 for 140 GB is a steal so keep an eye on such good plans. I got a VPS plan for a similar range from HostGator India and trust me, its been a great experience.

Lastly, whether it complies with industry standards or not, security wise- SSL, comodo, code guard for data recovery are a must.

-hope this helps :)