PDA

View Full Version : downtime - uptime

mrcool
06-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi,

If there is downtime, and the customers ask to compensate them. What can one do? Can he ask hosting company to pay for it?

Actually, does hosting company guarantee the uptime? If no, what's the usually uptime for them?

thans

silvermoon
06-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi,
If you don't have an uptime SLA, there is nothing that you have to do
for them. Just use your best judgement when it comes to certain
situations and ask yourself is it fair to compensate for extended periods of
downtime such as from drive failures even if you don't have an uptime
SLA. Remember, take care of your clients and they will in turn take care
of you.

If your reseller provider have an uptime SLA then you can ask for
compensation which you can pass along to your clients. I will say uptime
guarantees are shady so be very careful about what is promised and read it
very carefully. You'll be surprised at what isn't part of the
guarantee.

Good reseller providers will have 99.8% or more IMO. Good luck.
silvermoon

innovative2001
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Hello...

I think Silvermoon has provided you the sufficient guidance. This thing you should keep in mind. It will also very much help ful for those who are using this forum.

I am agree with the silvermoon regarding the explanation.

gobeer123
07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
It depends on the hosting company. I guess they won't compensate you in most cases.

ASP-Hosting.ca
08-15-2006, 04:38 PM
If I see that I would lose the client, I'll compensate him for the entire month.

peter phillips
08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
If a host guarantees a certain percentage of uptime and they fail to honour the guarantee, they should compensate the customer. Many of them don't, so the best way out is to go through the TOS of the host while signing up.

theheavenly
09-01-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi mrcool,

Usually the uptime is better of 99.9%. The customer can go for asking compensation for which depends on the company's terms for downtime issues.

The uptime with our hosting company is 99.95%. Still now we are having no issues regarding downtime with Ourinternet (http://ourinternet.us).

loon
09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
it really depend on what hosting company offer. 99.99 and 99.9 show great different, one is approximately 4 min downtimes another is approximately 44 min downtimes... but all this is just a prediction.