PDA

View Full Version : Which navigation method is beneficial?

jesicawillss
10-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Hello Friends. Website optimization is not an easy task for me. I know that it is very important task. Can you guide me on the navigation subject? I want to know that which navigation method proves more effective or beneficial for search engines and users?

Amy.Sarin
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Navigation is simply movement from one web page to another web page. Navigation is the only means by which a search engine or a visitor can find the important parts of your website.
The most significant task a navigation menu has to fulfill is to unambiguously guide the visitors through the different sections of the site. Your navigation system must be carefully planned to yield maximum results. What makes for a spider friendly and user friendly navigation?
-Good Internal linking structure
-Create a sitemap for Easier navigation of users (HTML) and deep crawling for spiders (XML)
-Using menus created with CSS for best results
-Breadcrumbs can be a great way to help users identify where they are located
-Use HTML rollovers without Javascript
-Breadcrumb anchor text must be keyword rich
-Use crawlable DHTML with href tags.
-Enable Javascript on drop down menus

bermuda
10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
While trying to create a truly great web navigation structure online, it is essential to keep in mind a few points; for example, the first thing to do is thinking of the best placements for the menus and clickable links, are the sets going at the top of the pages, right below the header graphics or like most blogs the sidebars of pages are to be containing the important URLs?

Apart from placement issues, selection of the coding systems too can be of paramount importance. In the past webmasters used JavaScript a lot but today it is recommended to stick with plain and simple HTML codes, possibly decorated with CSS add-ons or enhancements. Text links are always great but if images are used, try making use of proper Alt attributes as well.