PDA

View Full Version : Follow or No Follow – Confusing

JackiPhone
03-20-2012, 05:07 AM
Hi,

I have confusion, how to be familiar with if a website has "Do-Follow" or not? For me this is significant if you want to do blog commenting. It will be a waste of time if you leave a comment for a blog/website that does not have "Do-Follow", any ideas?

Thanks

timmoores
03-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Unimportant pages – One idea would be to nofollow the privacy policy and terms & conditions pages on all pages of your site except the sitemap, then nofollow the sitemap on all pages except the home page – so you’d be saving equity all over the site but still letting the crawlers find your sitemap, from the home page, and all pages it links to.

Duplicate links – You could make sure you don’t pass link equity to the same page twice by placing using nofollow on duplicate links. Note you may not want to always follow this rule if the cost of implementing nofollow attributes on duplicate links is higher than the perceived benefit (for example, I would probably avoid trying to write rules in your CMS that place a nofollow attribute on a link pointing to page "A" within your navigation if a contextual link on that same page is linking to page "A" as well… just too messy) – and be careful because it’s easy to shoot yourself in the footer since feedback on nofollow difficult to measure other than ranking changes.
Paid links and ads – Nofollowing paid advertisements is probably a good idea, however I’m sure many will argue against it. Comment links – it’s no secret that nofollow is used to reduce the effect of link equity, PageRank etc. from leaking away to sites that you don’t necessarily want your page recommending, especially if you let people post comments freely without moderation.

GeraldNitram
03-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Hello, timmoores. I think you'd better site your sources. I just copied the first paragraph, and boom; I saw where every piece of your information came from. It's a good practice to give others some credit for their work by giving them a good backlink to their site.

JackiPhone, I think I answered a similar question over at another forums, and I think it was you who asked the question as well. Anyway, nofollow and dofollow are attributes of a link, not a whole website. It won't be a waste if you're going to comment on a site that doesn't allow dofollow links. Blog commenting is supposed to be used for relationship building to begin with; not mainly for a link building purpose.