PDA

View Full Version : MSSQL or MySQL?

loon
10-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 database engine was a favour of many web developers due to its ability in providing more secure, reliable storage for both relational and structured data. It enabling developers to build and manage highly available, performant data applications that developers can use to take their business to the next level. In fact, a lot of analysis also showed that MSSQL Server is better compared to other database system such as DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. However, MSSQL Server is also been categorised by many developers as a very expensive database management system to use, even until now. Due to this, a lot of developers started to shift from MSSQL server to cheaper or free database system.

When comparing linux server and windows server, people tend to relate linux server with mysql and windows server with mssql. Linux server become the preference of many developers because it is cheap, mysql is free. Windows servers with mssql is very expensive.

Now, Microsoft has come out with a new product, MSSQL Express. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) is a powerful and reliable data management product that delivers rich features, data protection, and performance for embedded application clients, light Web applications, and local data stores. SQL Server Express is available at no cost, easy to use, redistributable version of SQL Server 2005 designed for building simple data-driven applications. Developers can design schemas, add data, and query local databases, all inside the Visual Studio 2005 environment. Furthermore, if developers need more advanced database features, then SQL Server Express can be seamlessly upgraded to more sophisticated versions of SQL Server.

MSSQL Server 2005 Express Edition is been designed in such a way that it remains good features from MSSQL Server 2005 while in the same time benefited developers by giving it out for free. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is easy to install; easy to use and manage; rich with database functionality; better security; simple pricing and licensing; with xml support; deep integration with Visual Studio 2005; better scalability and performance; etc. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/features.mspx for more information.

Database system is now considered as a critical factor in choosing a web hosting providers and MSSQL Express is simply the best choice, good yet cheap.

*Tips: Type "Free MSSQL Express hosting" or "MSSQL Express windows hosting" in google search to search for web hosting company that have MSSQL express ready in their control panel.

dannybedor
11-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Good news.

Another issue for MsSQL is about their high memory and cpu load usage (specially if installed in the same machine with web server). I do not know if MsSQL Express will have the similar issue or not.
:o

loon
12-19-2006, 11:19 PM
as i mentioned before Mssql is the light version of mssql express, and therefore it do not have same level of memory and cpu load usage but it still good enough to handle lighter task

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
MS SQL Server Express Edition has exactly the same engine as the rest of the MS SQL Server 2005 editions. It has some limitations though:

Supports 1 CPU
Supports 1 GB RAM
4 GB maximum database size

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/features.mspx

jack21
12-28-2006, 03:42 AM
The two most popular database systems nowadays are MS SQL and MySql. Well both are quite efficient in keeping data organized but differ in few areas. MySQL is weaker in the areas of inserting and deleting data whereas MySQL is excellent choice for that. For a internet application and small database MySql is a better choice. But if large scale database is required by commercial industry MS SQL is a much better option.

HQHost.net
01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
The two most popular database systems nowadays are MS SQL and MySql. Well both are quite efficient in keeping data organized but differ in few areas. MySQL is weaker in the areas of inserting and deleting data whereas MySQL is excellent choice for that. For a internet application and small database MySql is a better choice. But if large scale database is required by commercial industry MS SQL is a much better option.
Agree.
But your choice depends on your spec.

charlesgan
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
for enterprise, always stick to MSSQL. thats what we doing here as well. as currently we implementing a 2 millions dolar project, there is too risky to use MySQL. their versioning controls worry us. there is few sql command that mysql is not yet supported in mysql, comparing to oracle/mssql. we cant do prj without it, so this make mssql as crucial.

alemcherry
03-05-2007, 11:47 AM
MSSQL is better, with a lot more power and functionality. MySQL is fast, light and free. It doesnt have many enterprice features.

MySQL is an obvious choice for small/medium projects. But for important million dollar projects, MSSQl is obviously better.

good123
03-06-2007, 02:48 AM
MySQL-to-MSSQL (http://www.tomdownload.com/business_finance/database_management/mysql_to_mssql.htm) - A program to migrate MySQL databases to Microsoft SQL server.

wonn1377
08-25-2009, 05:12 AM
- A program to migrate MySQL databases to Microsoft SQL server.

I use data loader for migrating almost any data, it helps me to convert MySQL to MSSQL, MS access to MSSQL, mysql, csv loader, foxpro and MSSQL to MS access, MYSQl, CSV, foxpro etc. In my view this is a best Data Migration Tool

Download Free : http://www.dbload.com

rumsfo
08-26-2009, 03:27 AM
I use data loader for migrating almost any data, it helps me to convert MySQL to MSSQL, MS access to MSSQL, mysql, csv loader, foxpro and MSSQL to MS access, MYSQl, CSV, foxpro etc. In my view this is a best Data Migration Tool

Download Free : http://www.dbload.com

I assume that worth to check the date of the last post ;)

shakir
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
MSSQL is expensive but with many features, MySQL is free but very light.. limited features only. MySQL work with Linux

jean3167
08-31-2009, 07:37 AM
Here is a tool to convert MSSQL to MYSQL (http://www.convert-db.com/mssql-to-mysql.htm) database. That i found on google search it this converter can do migrate any data try and tel me is that worth or not.

Madgenius_com
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
To me this is an apples to oranges comparison. If you have a Unix based system to work with you are not going to look at MsSQL. And for mission critical Unix/Linux based hosting you should look more at Postgres or even Oracle for DB work. Here is a really good comparison of MsSQL, MySQL and Postgres.

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/130-Cross-Compare-of-PostgreSQL-8.4,-SQL-Server-2008,-MySQL-5.1.html

rcrrich
08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I feel this is a choice not a requirement to use either. I find them both good and for the average user mysql is fine, much easier to use and setup. If you require and need it for reason only you understand then mssql. Many companies the provide hosting have all of them as a choice.