PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server needed for oracle solution

Chris
12-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi all...

Hopefully someone might be able to recommend something. I need a dedicated server to host an oracle database. Linux, one CPU (one core), not a lot of bandwidth required, nor disk space, but I need to have good backups. Preferable off-site tape backups or something as secure. We can do the backups (RMAN) or it can be managed. (As long as they know it’s oracle, and you can’t just copy files…) I can provide the oracle license, or it can be provided, we’ll look at options. Most likely 1GB of RAM.

Also, I’d prefer to have the Linux environment managed for me, (patches, uptime, etc.) We will provide Oracle administration. If we need to give up the root account, that is fine, but we’ll need it for running scripts during oracle installation and patches. (Or have someone run the scripts for us.)

Would like a provider that offers great support and uptime, etc.

Need to go month to month initially, and we nail down the cost (monthly fee) so we can price our solution out to our client.

Thanks a lot.

Chris

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-16-2006, 08:34 PM
You can check simpli.biz. I have a managed dedicated server with them and the service seems to be just fine. Their support s a little slow for me, but no other complaints.

KrishManohar
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I would suggest softlayer.
I used them good uptime fast services.

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I've heard good thing about softlayer, although I've never used their services...

onthen
12-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi Chris,

The factors that you should consider before going for a server are
1. NOC
2. Admin Company
3. Server Configuration

My recommendations are planet or rackspace(NOC), slashome(admin company) and regarding server configuration more details are needed on expected traffic.

Chris
12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks all. I'll take a look at some of your suggestions.

As for traffic, it's very minimal. To begin, we'd be looking at putting the application on 150 laptops (sales force) and they would connect in at most once or twice a day. There would be one admin hitting the server for reports and billing. The first year growth may double or triple, but that's still quite small.

Bobby
12-21-2006, 05:05 AM
So do you need manageed or unmanaged server?

Ahmad
12-25-2006, 04:53 AM
There are companies specializing in oracle hosting, don't you want to try any of these?

Bull
12-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Hello. How much are they oracle?

Alcatrazz
12-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Just google it and you'll see, it all depends on the type of plan you need shared or dedicated.

James-A
12-26-2006, 07:19 AM
How much data transfer and space do you expect to use? What OS do you need?

onthen
12-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi Chris,

A managed server wont satisfy your needs. You have to take an unmanaged server from an NOC and should go separately for an admin company. If you are very particular about going for a managed server then make sure that the meaning of 'managed' is the same as you believe. Many service providers offers that their servers are fully managed but the truth is that the word 'managed' is conditional. You will understand this only when you go through some sort of issues after taking the server.

Chris
01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi Onthen, can you elaborate? I will have to look deeply into what is provided for a managed server (for the OS only), but my impression would be it would do installs of the operating system, patches, monitoring of the server, and provide security as well. Perhaps there is something I'm missing.

I've looked at different oracle hosting solutions, but the ones I've seen provide a portion of the database to each client. (Like a shared oracle solution.) I need control of the whole database. Basically, I need a linux box where I can install oracle on. As mentioned, minimum transfer and disk space would be required.

WiredTree Zac
01-24-2007, 08:31 PM
There are quite a few managed server companies that offer services like this, especially since you will be managing the Oracle installation on your own. Just be sure to check what is included with each provider's definition of "managed". What you are describing what you are looking for is probably closer to the definition of "fully managed" than "managed" IMO, but again, definitions vary so much from provider to provider you need to make sure you do research and ask a lot of questions about what is or isn't covered. Also, it may be easier to find hosting if you are providing your own Oracle license.

charlesgan
02-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi all...

Hopefully someone might be able to recommend something. I need a dedicated server to host an oracle database. Linux, one CPU (one core), not a lot of bandwidth required, nor disk space, but I need to have good backups. Preferable off-site tape backups or something as secure. We can do the backups (RMAN) or it can be managed. (As long as they know it’s oracle, and you can’t just copy files…) I can provide the oracle license, or it can be provided, we’ll look at options. Most likely 1GB of RAM.

Also, I’d prefer to have the Linux environment managed for me, (patches, uptime, etc.) We will provide Oracle administration. If we need to give up the root account, that is fine, but we’ll need it for running scripts during oracle installation and patches. (Or have someone run the scripts for us.)

Would like a provider that offers great support and uptime, etc.

Need to go month to month initially, and we nail down the cost (monthly fee) so we can price our solution out to our client.

Thanks a lot.

Chris

for database server, i suggest you owning a server and use colo indeed. security & access concern. protect your data.

NS-Icon
02-07-2007, 04:11 AM
I have removed all posts which appear as self-advertising and or which do not provide the original poster (OP) with the requested information. Please note, just because the OP is looking for a server / hosting solution does not mean it is an opportunity to spam your dedicated server solutions, your offer must meet the requirements outlined by the OP.

I would suggest you take this as a strong warning if your post has been removed as there will not be any further warnings, you should know by now what is classified as SPAM. Please read the forum rules before posting.