PDA

View Full Version : Web host help?!

Dragon9206
01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Hello. I have never published a website before, consequently I know nothing. I dont want to pay a lot of money for web hosting. I need a domain name, and a host. Should I get both from the same place, or seperate places? Can anyone recommend a really good web host for me? I appreciate any help. (and any other info anyone deems important) Thanks!!

NS-Icon
01-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi Dragon,

If you have never created a website before you can looking for a hosting provider which offers a content management system / site builder which takes all the headache out of creating the website by providing you with a step by step wizard which guides you through creating your website. Many hosting providers offer such a service and I would consider trying these out.

With regards to a hosting provider, there are many in the offers section of the forum you can choose from, I would locate a couple you like the sounds of and then drop them an e-mail to obtain a little more information about them before signing up, if you have any additional questions, feel free to drop a mail in this thread and I am sure others along with myself would be more than happy to help you out with your queries.

Best of luck.

charlesgan
01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Hello. I have never published a website before, consequently I know nothing. I dont want to pay a lot of money for web hosting. I need a domain name, and a host. Should I get both from the same place, or seperate places? Can anyone recommend a really good web host for me? I appreciate any help. (and any other info anyone deems important) Thanks!!

first thing first, get a hosting plan that offering everything you will need: domain, database, cpanel, web builder. look for these features.

Martie
01-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Hi Dragon,
Im going to go against what some others have posted with yet another suggestion. I **highly** recommend that you FIRST register your domain name through a reputable registrar. Once your domain name is registered then all you will need to do is go back to the registrar and UPDATE your domain record with your new host info (this consists of adding in the namserver info that will be provided by your new hosting co.)
IF you decide to register your domain name through your host then please ask some questions of them first. There are many horror stories out there of web hosts "holding" a clients domain name when that client leaves them for another host. Now keep in mind not all hosts would operate that way BUT its good information for you to have before-hand!
ALSO, unless your website is huge an average plan of 50-100MB (yes, MB, NOT gigs!) should be more than enough room, along with 2-5GB bandwidth per month.
Is your website already built? If not then most hosts do offer a point and click website builder in their plans so that should not be a problem for you.

Also, a good host will assist and guide you with information about getting that name registered, etc.
Make sure to "research" as much as possible on some potential hosts...check here at hostsearch.com for reviews and its also a good idea to run the co. name through google.com or webhostingtalk.com to see what kind of feedback there is. Send ANY potential host some pre-sales emails before signing up!

I would use godaddy.com to register your name and look elsewhere for hosting. ;)

Alcatrazz
02-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Martie is right, hosting and domaining are two different businesses, and someone who's good at one, isn't necessarily good at another, and it's a good way not to become a hostage to a hosting provider. I would also recommend you to browse hosting review sites for clients' feedback on the companies that might suit your needs.

SilverStone
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Don't worry about hosting or domain register. Because now days almost hosting provider can offer domain registration and hosting packages together.

Keep on searching in at this forum or google.

Thanks..:)

brillomax
02-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Most hosting packages come with a FREE domain name so that shouldn't be a problem for you. You can pretty much with the hosting right out of the box...

eukhost
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Nowadays a lot of hosting companies do offer free domains with their hosting packages so you get domain as well as hosting from the same place and you can get started with your website instantly.

WK-Anthony
02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Nowadays a lot of hosting companies do offer free domains with their hosting packages so you get domain as well as hosting from the same place and you can get started with your website instantly.

As Martie said, it's best to register the domain name seperate from the host. It's just common sense. You don't trust the most important piece of the puzzle to someone else.

Ahosting.biz
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
What kind of website are you going to host? Maybe free hosting fully suit your needs?

egenial
02-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Use *** Edited by NS-Icon *** hostsearch.com (http://www.hostsearch.com) to find hosting offers to meet your needs.

Dragon9206
02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Thank you all so much for all the good advice. It has really helped me. I have a site built using dreamweaver, and I will be selling some of my art on my site (I hope) I have looked around at some hosts, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about webstrike solutions? They offer a $30 set up fee and a year free, and they say that they will register your domain in your name. Their ratings on this site look good. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them? Also what is the best platforn to run on, and is there any reason why i have to pick a certain one? Thanks!

Jim2Macs
02-13-2007, 07:06 AM
By looking over webstrike solutions' site, I would say they oversell. Not that, that's bad IF done right, but I wonder how they can make any money by giving away a year of hosting?
Anyway, for beginners I agree with Martie. If a host is offering domain names, then they should easily offer transfers, but there's been way to many bad reports of hosts highjacking domains, so go to a place like Enom and get your domain there. Then YOU have complete control and can change name servers whenever you want.
Second, do as much research as you can before deciding on a host. Look around and make yourself a list of say a half dozen or so hosts you think will fit your needs. Look for reviews of each host, ask questions here about each host, then contact each host with some pre-sales questions. This will give you a good idea on the types of responses you'll get and the response times as well. Wind your list down till you find the host you feel is the best for you.
For OS's, Linux is free so it'll be cheaper for you, it's more secure and generally is the one use more often. Windows will cost a little more and the main difference is there's only a couple things you can do on a Windows machine that can't be done on a Linux. If you don't know, you probably don't need Windows.

Mabus
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
You will want to register your domain with a reputable company like namecheap.com. Most hosting companies that say "free domain" with hosting package will hold the domain hostage and not release it if you decide in the long run that you want to switch hosts. You should look for a site builder type of company or go with a free host/smaller budget package running around like a $1 just so you can play with it for months at low cost before actually committing yourself to high cost hosting plans. If you decide you cant do it or you need someone else to help you out you will only be out like $10 instead of $100. Good luck with your learning experience and I hope you find a good host.

micksss
03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Great discussion! I would make sure that you have the right host that offers a free domain. Do your research comparing hosts, looking at reviews/forums and it will all come together. Best of luck!

Ahmad
06-20-2008, 03:34 AM
@Mabus :
I think that the time when unscrupulous hosts registered domains in their names and didn't let their customers leave them are gone forever, now hosts regiister domains in customers names. It won't hurt to check their TOS anyway, say Hostww.net offer contain a free web site builder, a free domain name and first month trial period.

Though using Namecheap.com you get a domain name and a lot of free services, like free WhoIs guard service and free Positive SSL certificate.

alemcherry
06-21-2008, 09:28 AM
@Mabus :
I think that the time when unscrupulous hosts registered domains in their names and didn't let their customers leave them are gone forever, now hosts regiister domains in customers names. It won't hurt to check their TOS anyway, say Hostww.net offer contain a free web site builder, a free domain name and first month trial period.

Though using Namecheap.com you get a domain name and a lot of free services, like free WhoIs guard service and free Positive SSL certificate.

Probably you are right, but an year or so before one of my client had a real issue with bravenet. I still guess it is better to keep your doamin names with a ICANN approved registrar. It doent cost much anyway.

gemwebhost.com
05-24-2009, 01:05 AM
You can refer to gemwebhost.com. Our executives will help you with all your queries regarding that.

Ian Cruz
05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Like some have mentioned its a good idea to have separate domain and hosting providers. However I prefer to have it all in a single location and there are many hosting providers that offer you free domains with hosting. Just make sure that the domain is registered on your name and there is no restrictions in transferring out this domain. Also check their up-time, money back guarantees and support(24/7).

Best of Luck :)

solution
05-25-2009, 05:58 AM
all of you guys are in right!

both of the decisions are having - and +

at least for not being too much complicated for a STRATER,
take one hosting provider that give additional domain for free is wise option.:)

and don't forget ian cruz advice! above!

rumsfo
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
of course that would be wise, but I assume that people are extra crazy about discounts and once all discounts were used they start regretting. So I would not recommend forget about reviews