PDA

View Full Version : Wiggling into a promotion

BridgeLL
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
So I’ve had enough of a blow to my ego that I need a little advice. Let me start by telling you why:

I have been working as a temp, at a company I really like, for the last 7 months. I don’t have a lot of experience in this field, which is part of why I feel like this job is going to look really good on my resume.

After a few months of working for them, I asked if I could be hired outside of the staffing agency, since they are paid with funds that could be allocated to me. My boss was extremely sweet and rattled off some excuses; they can’t hire me until I’ve worked for them longer than three months, they’re in a hiring freeze… you know the drill. Well, I didn’t want to push the issue, so I just let it be.

But when I came back from a few days off for having contracted what could only be described as the most horrific head cold ever, there were at least three new hires!

Now I am worried. I feel like I need to step up my game, but I also feel like perhaps they just aren’t interested in hiring me as a full-time employee. However, three other people here said they worked as temps for a year here before getting hired full-time. Furthermore, another temp has already come and gone whilst I was here. So I feel like I must be doing something right.

Anyway, after a bit of searching, I found this article that highlights tips on how to get a promotion (http://www.jobs.net/Article/CB-65-Talent-Network-IT-Moving-on-Up-150-7-Simple-Tips-that-Lead-You-to-a-Promotion/). The article brings up several suggestions that I already strive to practice, but I know I’m not a perfect employee, so there are some I should work on.

But in terms of this job that I’ve already held for seven months as a temp, do you think it would be better to stay and hope for the full-time position after a year?

Or, do you think it would be better to cut my losses and apply for a full-time position in the city I would like to move to, while this one is still on good standing for my resume?

As per usual, any and all responses will be appreciated.