PDA

View Full Version : Unmanaged server beginer: What types of software/management do I need?

Normac
03-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi.

Recently my dad (I'm currently 16) has moved to an unmanaged dedicated server with Esecuredata.com . After moving through 3 Managed/unmanaged with support, he (and so have I) has got sick of the downtime after downtime, and have decided to cut out the incompetent support and go with an impressive unmanaged dedicated server with no support. Worst case is we can't handle it and we lose a small amount of money, nothing compared to the loss in profits if we keep with all the downtime.

Now since I'm the person who is generally really good at all things command line and coding related (and I'm currently getting enough free links/SEO to make anything a PR 4-6 :D) I've offered to learn how too manage the server.

My experience with servers is has been generally been with control panels like Plesk and DirectAdmin, though I do install things like PHP/MYSQL/APACHE on localhosts so I can test script off the frequently down servers.

Now I've been reading around, but I really can't find any information on what managing a server needs on a daily/weekly bases, or what kind of software you need to install (Is antivirus needed or not, been reading conflicting info on that.)

The current OS on the server is CentOS 5 and everything that comes with it. The server load is around 30K+ visitors, thousands of pages, though he is letting me learn with a few sites at first.

Basicly I'm not asking HOW to run a managed server down to every detail, but what topics should I research/learn, what kind of software is needed on a server, and what the daily/weekly task are? (reccomendations welcome).

Oh and I don't want to hear about how we should get a managed server. I believe that everything is learn able if you put the hard work in, which I am willing. Not to mention a monkey could do a better job then the management/support we've seen, I can't do any worse then that!!

Thanks in advance.

Normac.

PS: You can read all of his reviews of the companies at
http://www.morearnings.com/2007/06/17/server4you-dedicated-server-hosting-problems/
Includes reg-123.com, Server4U and Hivelocity where you can see him rip shreds out of support. Was it a good idea agreeing to be his next support?.......

JFOC
03-11-2008, 05:40 AM
You can use monitoring software like IpGold Switch for monitoring server, iptables standard or APF for firewalling, and use cPanel for control panel or any other you needed.

Best Regards,
JFOC Network Solution

~ServerPoint~
03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I think that you have learn about nmanagment first of all and then try do practice. Now you have only time and monety wasting

topblue
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I think that you have learn about nmanagment first of all and then try do practice. Now you have only time and monety wasting
This and if you don't know what you are doing you can criple the server (I restarted this post to add a point for current and future people). If you are asking what you need for unmanaged, then you arn't really prepared for a unmanaged.

HostDime-il
08-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I would suggest to use any of the free monitoring services online (you can find many of them at google) and combine cPanel control panel with CSF as your firewall for security, I think, Thats would make it for you :)

Of course for the start, You may want run some kind of virtual machine on your local PC to learn a bit about how things work before you go into paid solution.

Anyways, I won't suggest go into production server without management knowledge unless you take a managed server or hire some one to manage it for you.

Good Luck :)

alemcherry
08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
If you know the basics of linux and are comfortable managing the server through a control panel, you can actually go for an unmanaged server. If you have access to an expert to help you with any advanced issues(a host that would charge hourly for a sys admin in need is okay!), you are safe. Get a control panel you are comfortable with, a firewall - you are ready to go!

grimlins
08-29-2008, 03:45 AM
If you have enough experience and time, buy unmanaged services, otherwise follow the managed ones.

chapter
11-24-2008, 02:22 PM
This is a great topic to consider. Running your own server is not easy, but its a great way to get started. If I were to purchase an unmanaged dedicated server I would definitely want to run a Firewall or better, have a dedicated firewall infront of my server. It pains me to hear of servers that get compromised. I would also pay close attention to log-files and network utilization, these are the key sentinels that will help you look for bad things that might be happening on your server without your knowledge. Anyway, good luck!

~ServerPoint~
11-25-2008, 02:37 AM
This and if you don't know what you are doing you can criple the server (I restarted this post to add a point for current and future people). If you are asking what you need for unmanaged, then you arn't really prepared for a unmanaged.
Not a problem. You decide what to go with as solution

Oracle
05-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Why not sign up a VPS? VPS is very good for this purpose. Dedicated server might stronger, but do you really need that? You can even start with small VPS, likes 256MB RAM. Test your script, then if it needs more resources, upgrade your VPS.....
Which platform do you need? Linux or Windows?