PDA

View Full Version : Google step in to domain registration market

Khun
02-03-2005, 01:54 AM
1sockchuck writes "Google is now an ICANN-approved domain name registrar, an intriguing move that could be tied to its blog hosting service, Blogger. Yahoo recently dropped its domain prices to $4.98, as hosting companies use domains as a cheap way to lure customers. Registrar status could allow Google to compete aggressively on price. Bloggers seem to resist paying for hosting, so cheap domains might help Google's plans for world domination."

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/31/2316212&tid=217&tid=95

So, what's next? Hosting market?

WebEdit
02-03-2005, 10:38 PM
I think Google is trying to do more things so they can survive. MSN just released its own search engine so Google has to eventually do more than just be a search engine or other companies that offer other services in addition will win all their customers over.

http://hostsearch.com/news/microsoft_news_2522.asp

1PlanHost
02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't put it past them to try a stake at the hosting market as well. Yahoo and even Microsoft is doing it so it would not surprise me at all. What is really a ticker is Wal-Mart/Sams Club hosting! :confused:

Seriously, although the industry does have plenty of competition already, I would not be too concerned about it. There is a great BIG ocean out there and plenty of fish for all. Get them into your local bay (your part of ocean) with excellent customer service and uptime and you should do fine.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

Khun
02-04-2005, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't put it past them to try a stake at the hosting market as well. Yahoo and even Microsoft is doing it so it would not surprise me at all. What is really a ticker is Wal-Mart/Sams Club hosting! :confused:

Seriously, although the industry does have plenty of competition already, I would not be too concerned about it. There is a great BIG ocean out there and plenty of fish for all. Get them into your local bay (your part of ocean) with excellent customer service and uptime and you should do fine.

Great post!! but if you are in the bay be careful of the Tsunami :D lol

highlighter
02-06-2005, 04:33 PM
If the prices are that low, the competition will force the other registrars to drop their prices as well :)

This will be good news for everybody except large domain registrars such as Godaddy etc.

Khun
02-08-2005, 03:27 AM
I’m not wary about google coming or not. But I was wondering, why google want to sell a domain? why they want to join a low margin business? They made $1 billion in the most recent quarter form an advertising click sell. What do they have in mind? :confused:

ASP-Hosting.ca
02-14-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't think Google will enter the hosting arena...

1PlanHost
02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Perhaps not since they do make a good income from search ads. However, I would not speculate by saying never. I would have not thought Microsoft would directly compete against web hosting companies by offering it's own hosting service but they do. Fortunately they do not advertise their hosting service widely to the public.