PDA

View Full Version : Server Advice Please

nasprey
01-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi All,

I just registed over here hoping for a little advice. Im a Server Newb, (with the exception of a HP Media Server).

Basically our company only has three staff. We do NVQ qualifications mostly for the construction industry.

Until now we have been using paper candidate logbooks, but are starting to introduce the E-Logbook for users with computer access.

We currently use the HP Media Server for all our documents and to allow the other members of staff to remoteley access the system to update tracking sheets etc. The system works 'ok-ish' but far from great.

What we are hoping to do is install a new server and set up 'User Areas' so that each candidate gets their own private area to keep their E-Logbook and various documents. This would mean our assessors would be able to keep checking their progress without having to visit them on site.

When I was at college they had this system which could be accessed by 'ftp://joeboggs.school.net' (or something like that) so students could access and edit their work from home. This is exactly what we are aiming to do, but we would need the capacity to offer up to 100 (maybe more) individual user accounts for our candidates.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me an idea of what i need to do this; and roughly at what cost. I really have no idea if we are looking at £1000 or £100,000.

Any help would be very much appriciated :)

many thanks

Nick

~ServerPoint~
01-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Hello Nick!
Could you please leave here specification for your server (the one you are currently using).
I guess that you might will be able to work on the VPS server. But more details are needed.

nasprey
01-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the help!

The server i'm currently using is just a cheap-o PC world jobbie, here it is:

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/systems/personal-computers/hp-mediasmart-server-ex475--sempron-18-ghz.p353230.html

Main Specifications

Product Description - HP MediaSmart Server EX475 - Sempron 1.8 GHz
Type - Server
Platform Technology - AMD LIVE!
Form Factor - Micro tower
Dimensions (WxDxH) - 14 cm x 25 cm x 23 cm
Localisation - English / United Kingdom
Processor - 1 x AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz
RAM - 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM
Storage Controller - Serial ATA ( Serial ATA-150 )
Hard Drive - 2 x 500 GB - hot-swap - Serial ATA-150
Monitor - None.
Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
Power - AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
OS Provided - Microsoft Windows Home Server

Thanks

Nick

wasp
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
You may have a quality dedicated server from razorservers.com this company specializes in providing dedicated and VPS hosting for any budget and requirements. Stable tested network and great offers.

Ahmad
02-18-2009, 04:46 AM
Also take a look at Globaltap.com - they should be suitable, however they are rather costly, but still are rock-solid and quality host.

Iwhic-A
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Do you have any server specifications in mind for now?

Almond012
03-09-2009, 03:18 AM
Yes
Same question is here
Do you have any server specifications in mind for now?

Oracle
05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Hello everyone I am new to the whole dedicated server thing. So please forgive me if I come across a little dense LOL.

Ok here goes. I have a Dedicated Server Running on Cpanel. Everything was running well. Until I configured my FTP so I could upload my site to this.

Half way through uploading this. My FTP client sent back a server timed out error I went to reconnect this allowed me to reconnect,

However when I accessed my site directly via the IP address which had been working for 3 weeks, its rooted to a page with the html error files and my suspension page files, not the. Page that was there previously. Which was direct assessing to my site. However when I connect to the FTP it allow me to connect to the files that should be showing but not the files that are showing.

Preiously it also allowed me to access the pages via my Domain Name and IP/home.html however if if go to the ip/home.html this show page does not exist, but I can see the page is there because I can see if via Cpanel, and FTP remotely

Have I some how changed the Root file that shows on here and if so how would I revert it back so it would show the page that was showing before

And also how would I assess the main root file.

When I first setup the server my host advised me that the default route had been changed auto by Cpanel as the same short of problem was happening when it was first set up so he said he would move the files from the root file to the default file it had setup. So how do I access that file. And how do I change the default root file that shows to the one that was working for weeks..........