PDA

View Full Version : HostGator.com Scam - A Warning From Past Memebers

GetVideoCodes
05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Hello,

I have been an off and on HostGator customer for the past year now and recently I ran into a problem so big, that in my opinion it deserves a post here at HostSearch.com

It all starts when I get an email stating…

-------------------------
Greetings.

Please be advised that your domain name:

mysite.com

Has been suspended for a Copyright Infringment Violation and backup is available for your download should it be needed.

Regards, Tim
HostGator.com
-------------------------

So I immediately reply with asking how it is possible that we are guilty of copyright infringement. I get a reply with a copy of a DMCA complaint. After examining the complaint I notice several things weird about it…

1) Complaint was sent from our competitor who runs a site just like ours.
2) The claimant said that we are infringing upon their patent pending html code (which has been around since the internet was invented)
3) In the complaint the claimant listed a patent number that they said we were infringing upon. Upon further investigation with the patent number and after contacting the United States Patent And Trademark Office, it has been confirmed that the patent number provided was invalid. Furthermore, there is no patent pending or issued to anything similar.
4) The claimant writing the DMCA complaint states that he is representing an incorporated business. Upon further investigation into this, it has been determined that there is no such business name or Articles of Incorporation filed for the business name listed. Also there was no paperwork filed for similar names in case there was a typo in the complaint.

So after finding these interesting but very valid reasons to belive that this DMCA complaint had no legal bearing in a court of law, we file a counter DMCA notice within about 30 minutes. Since HostGator uses ThePlanet, it would be ThePlanet’s copyright agent which would handle the complaint and determine whether or not the site could remain up. I send the official counter DMCA notice to both HostGator and ThePlanet directly.

After about 30 minutes I called HostGator and spoke with Tim in the sales department about my site, and when they would hear a response from ThePlanet. He assures me that I would have an official response within 30 minutes to 1 hour because ThePlanet is very fast at handling these issues. I agree and we hang up.

After about 4 hours with my account still be suspended and offline, I call HostGator back and speak with Tim again. He said that he would personally get in touch with the datacenter and call me back within 10 minutes.

About 10 hours later, I call yet again…. This time someone whom barely speaks English (probably someone from India) answers the phone and says that I need to send him an email for the issue to be resolved. I inform him of the open tickets I have already and he insist that I sent another email and he will personally respond to it within 10 minutes.

5 Hours later… No phone contact, no emails response, domain still offline…. I sent yet another email to Brent and Tim.

9 Hours later… No response. I call HostGator back and speak with another person whom sounded from India… After telling him my account info he says to email support and hangs up on me.

12 Hours Later….Domain still offline…. I finally get an email from HostGator saying that they can not host my site due to legal demands from their datacenter (ThePlanet).

I ask for more specific reasons, and they simply say, sorry can not host your site. I inform them that LEGALLY they have to give me access to my site data pursuant to U.S.C. Section 512(g)(3) which states that after a counter DMCA notice is filed, access to the disabled content must be restored unless a court order is presented to the datacenter.

Now the problem goes from the DMCA complaint to getting the files and backups from my account which was deleted WITHOUT any notice due to a DMCA complaint (which was proven to be full of errors and lies)

Since it was made clear to me that HostGator did not wan to host our domain and website, we finally agreed and asked for a full cPanel backup of all our data. Remember in the very original email it was clearly stated that a backup would be available for download.

First they want my username and domains to get the backup off of. I provide that information within 5 minutes, and after 10 hours with no reply, I email them back asking for an update,.

They ask me again for my username and domains, which I provide to them verbally and via email. Instructed that backup would be ready within 1 hour max.

14 hours pass by…domain still down…data still being illegally withheld…no response from HostGator.

Long story short…it took about 48 hours with 4 phone calls, 7 emails to get a response from HostGator regarding my site backups.

Finally a few days later I get an email from HostGator stating that they are having problems with my site backup and that they are working on it very hard.

2 Days later I get an email from Hostgator giving me a link to download my site backup…finally I smiled for a second…after downloading the file I noticed something real fast. The file size was 2K when my site used just over 75megs, and inside the backup file was absolutely nothing. Now I am really upset, and I email and call again a few times.

Then after another 24 hours, I get an email saying that “Our site backup is missing, and there is no possible way for me to get my data back off the server”. Remember that they originally deleted the account (NOT suspended) then mysteriously all the offsite backups are now missing. But Brent was happy to say that it was not their fault and it was ThePlanet’s since they provide a horrible backup solution.

So it comes down to this. HostGator received a complaint from a random person on the internet saying that they own a patent to html code (yeah right) provide a false patent number, provide a false company name, and HostGator immediately goes and deletes your account and all your data off your server without notice or any prior warning. Then suddenly all your site backups are now missing and it’s not their fault that you now have nothing.

I inform Brent to either give me my site backups which I am legally allowed to have, or send me a check for $300 which was the cost of the custom programming scripts on the server (which I have full receipts for proof of purchase). He simply says that “It’s not my fault you received a DMCA complaint”, however he fails to mention that he deleted my account data without notice or even investigating the DMCA complaint before making such drastic measures to someone’s account. Now all my site backups and everything is completely missing. Brent suggests I sue ThePlanet for providing HostGator with a cheap backup solution.

Overall: VERY bad experience with the way HostGator handled this issue, and then suddenly loses all your account data and leaves you with absolutely nothing.

Website is now hosted directly with ThePlanet with not one single problem. It still did cost me over $325+ for the scripts and custom programming all over again. Now I need to recover this cost which was incurred by negligence on behalf of HostGator.com

Here are some ticket numbers that were involved with this incident…

HGSales #ZIB-80060-282
HGSales #EQV-99225-951
HGSupport #EFX-28140-146

Law stating that a service provider must restore access to a site that has been disabled due to a DMCA complaint.

U.S.C. Section 512(g)(3)

What are your thoughts on this issue?

1PlanHost
05-20-2005, 10:28 PM
While I agree that they should have not deleted your site files that quickly and should have had a reliable backup solution, I would not agree with your assessment that it is a "scam." They have not fraudulently made any claims nor falsely led you on as a scam.

DMCA matters can be quite delicate and there is often pressure on the host to solve it quickly by suspending the site. I have always had issue with the DMCA in that it places the burden of discovery on the web host. In other words, once properly notified then the host is pressured into becoming the judge and jury. We do NOT like those types of calls at all unless the presenting evidence is extremely convincing and the infringment obvious. You were correct in sending in your counter complaint and that should have stopped the process until further investigation could be made. But then again, that is my point. Why should the web host become the judge and jury on such matters? Those matters should be handled by judges in a court of law. While the DMCA does make some provisions for this, it is very clear that the expectation is that we should investigate and make a determination of merit then take the files down if customer does not do so in a reasonable amount of time. Put simply, web hosting companies do not have the legal training nor time to determine such matters.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

WebEdit
06-17-2005, 03:57 AM
I think they owe you for more than just the $300 you paid for in scripts. I think they were quite negligent in the way that they treated you.

I can understand if they suspended your site without having looked into the complaint deeply to see if it was a fraud but to have simply deleted the site completely and give you such slow response about what was going on is beyond terrible service.

newservers
09-02-2005, 05:55 AM
About 10 hours later, I call yet again…. This time someone whom barely speaks English (probably someone from India) answers the phone and says that I need to send him an email for the issue to be resolved.

9 Hours later… No response. I call HostGator back and speak with another person whom sounded from India… After telling him my account info he says to email support and hangs up on me.

While it unfortunate that this happens with you and you suffered. It is really bad that you are just pointing Indians (while even you are not suree if they were Indians or not).

Today almost all companies uses skilled Indian workforce and you should not point to nationality of someone on the basis of your personal assumptions. :(

ElCaballo
09-05-2005, 11:20 PM
After hearing that story I wouldn't touch those guys with a ten foot T1 cable.

screwHostgator
02-17-2006, 06:14 AM
I can't believe that they are giving me one week to move one of my sites to a semi or dedicated server. And i'm not close at all to my limits.

I'm currently using their Aluminum reseller package. I have Disk space 5,000mb/5gb and 50,000mb/50gb and i'm no where close to using them up.

In a month i use like 4gb of bandwidth total for all my sites, and disk space is just like 20mb. Now they are complaing that one of my site is using too much cpu. Is it not with bandwidth and disk space you use to control things? We have one week to move, well that's the time they give us before they will delete it. But we want to fight them over it.

Any ideas as to how to go about it?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

dchman
02-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Hello,

I have been an off and on HostGator customer for the past year now and recently I ran into a problem so big, that in my opinion it deserves a post here at WebHostingTalk.com

This is HostSearch.com, not WebHostingTalk.com. Come on, give this site some respects. Don't just cut and paste.

HMarker
02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
It was a copy and past error but what makes difference? If HostGator is a really scam company, people here have to know it.

ASP-Hosting.ca
03-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I looked at hostgator's prices and plans and I'm not suprised you were having problems. They offer unlimited domains with 5GB space and 50GB transfer hehe. The only problem is that they expect you to use maximum 10% of that. You get what you pay for.

FH-Donald
03-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I have had an account with hostgator in the past with no problems, this story is bad to hear from them.

Does this type of action happen with alot of web hosts?
i have never run into anything like that

UltraMatrix.NET
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Look like i have seen same post in WHT.

highpr
03-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Wow! That is quite a complicated matter.

So what I'm wondering is:

If you ascertained that the original deceptive email was sent by a competitor - what are you going to do about that?

What's to stop them from doing the same thing again?

Is there any protection that the rest of us can have against a similar claim?

Page-Zone
04-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Wow! That is quite a complicated matter.

So what I'm wondering is:

If you ascertained that the original deceptive email was sent by a competitor - what are you going to do about that?

What's to stop them from doing the same thing again?

Is there any protection that the rest of us can have against a similar claim?

I'd say the best protection is to have recent backups of your site and use an external dns service so things can be switched quickly. My own opinion is theplanet is a scary place to have your website housed.

And I don't see why hostgator would need to delete the files instantly. Disabling the website is easier and quicker, and reduces the chance for horror stories to be posted and archived forever on the Internet.

Tech_32
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Any 5 buck an hour tech can delete files thinking he is backing them up....happens all the time in this business.

*The Planet??? WOO HOO (http://www.slobberdawg.com/music/woohoo.mp3)

I'm quite surprised that "your files" would be deleted so quickly.......after-all.....The Planet is one of the largest spam DC's out there next to SBC.

You'ld think that your files would've remained indefinitely after a complaint like that due to their lack of oversight on just about everything else......"including their mail servers".

Not a big "The Planet" fan by any stretch.......our techops has nearly half of any their DC ip ranges blocked completely out.......permanantly.

Tough one to have to go through my friend and we feel for you.......

I suggest just going dedicated entirely or even better....*Managed.
It's the only real way to fly.......

cyberhostpro
04-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi

I do see both sides to the argument here. Hostgator have to do as the planet say as the rules are strict, hostgator cant afford to have there servers switched off or suspended.

Also in reference to the backups being removed, maybe hostgator only use the NAS backup service, I personally use the planet but refuse to use NAS as its not secure and its rubbish, we use Disksync which is tape drive based and have access to backups made XX days ago, and its secure so we cant acidently remove files etc.

But however, Hostgator have to do as the planet say, as they agree to their T&C and do exactly has TP say. Its what hosts have to do!

What was it that you were doing wrong? phishing site? mp3 etc.

highlander
04-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Host Gator is a good outfit, but they have grown to be quite large. That in itself will tend to muck up communication. Some sound organization will help to pull them out.
IMHO

alemcherry
09-06-2006, 08:52 AM
This incident was very unfortunate, but overall I hear a lot of positive feedback about hostgator, that most of the biggies.

SecureServerTec
09-07-2006, 04:05 PM
not me. they are oversellers and if you start using all they have allocated for you they will suspend then terminate you.
Lots of them do this for "resource abuse" so there is no way you can actually use what you are allocated without being suspended for resource abuse. I know numerous high traffic sites who tried host gator because of the big bundle of bw and space but in time they found themselves terminated.
They should not even allocate the space if they cannot let anyone use it but I guess thats how overselling dirtbags operate.

There is no doubt about this, it is what hostgator does, they are a big overselling joke. Sure you wouldnt have no problems if you have a low traffic site but if you have just one site with decent traffic they will terminate you. They done this to sdddesign.biz and they only average about 50 users online at once.
But people should know better to deal with hostgator anyway, they are beginning ot get a rep for doing thsi. And alem you must have them mistaken for someone else because I have heard nothing but negative about hostgator. Like I said if you had some low traffic crap it wouldnt matter but if you have a site that remotely uses what you are allocated you will get screwed.

But that is ridiculous they done that, just another incident to prove the argument that they are a big joke. I guess thats why I got a server in the first place so crap like that cant happen. I currently have a server at rackmounted.com they are great guys and would never ever just go in and delete my stuff no matter what the reason. They dont care what I have as long as it is legal and stupid complains like the one that got you screwed just get forwarded to me.

I post gpl products that people try to sell elsewhere on my site for free as it is my right under the gpl and I get all kinds of stupid complaints and lawsuit threats when they dont even have a leg to stand on.

Rackmounted's shared hosting is www.serve.com I guarantee you that you wouldnt have that problem with them. As long as you have only legal content they dont care. They even support free speech websites unlike most other hosts.

Unregistered
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the details. I won't allow Hostgator to put the bite on me. Any other providers who use thePlanet or who are associated with HostGator?

trocobob
09-12-2006, 04:30 AM
actullay many members complaint from hostgator . i hope that they find solution to all his problems

Helios32176
04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
HostGator is the worst hosting company ever. They took my website down in November 2006 without notice because they claimed my site used 11% of the CPU. The support department told me they would send me a .tar file of my site and a mysql export within one week which I told them was unacceptale because the site has paid advertisers (not Google Adsense) and I already had another dedicated server with PEER1 to move the site in question to immediately. After several hours of tying up their phone support, they finally relinquished and put the .tar file in an ftp for me to download. I told them cancel my account immediately and do not bill my credit card again.

OK, I had my site back up in several hours, and thought I was done with them for good, but they have continued to bill my credit card $29.95 per month since the incedent. I have called support and they said I needed to log into CPanel and cancel my account from there, however, they locked me out of Cpanel. I told them I was going to do a chargeback on the fraudulent billing and their representative stated they would file a judgment against me with the credit bureaus if I reversed the charges.

Here we are, now in April 2007 and they are still continuing to bill me for an account they cancelled and I have no recourse at this point but to do a chargeback through Bank of America for the 5 months they have billed me since I have not been on their service.

I have an impeccable credit rating and it is the absolute most dispicable act I've ever seen from an internet company since AOL pulled the same trick on me back in 1995.

I urge anybody reading this to never have any dealings with HostGator or you will seriously regret it.

sitesavings
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
If you had a custom $300 script made, you didn't bother to create your own backups even once?

Why does everyone always assume the hosting provider makes and keeps backups?

I agree they are completely wrong, and you should seek legal advice depending on the damages involved. However, you never once made backups yourself?

Helios32176
07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
It's is July now and if you see my last post above, that HostGator was still charging my credit card months after they pulled my site... guess what? They are still charging my credit card !!!!! I just got another charge on 7/02/2007 !!!!

Gene Steinberg
07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
not me. they are oversellers and if you start using all they have allocated for you they will suspend then terminate you.
Lots of them do this for "resource abuse" so there is no way you can actually use what you are allocated without being suspended for resource abuse. I know numerous high traffic sites who tried host gator because of the big bundle of bw and space but in time they found themselves terminated.
They should not even allocate the space if they cannot let anyone use it but I guess thats how overselling dirtbags operate.

There is no doubt about this, it is what hostgator does, they are a big overselling joke. Sure you wouldnt have no problems if you have a low traffic site but if you have just one site with decent traffic they will terminate you. They done this to sdddesign.biz and they only average about 50 users online at once.
But people should know better to deal with hostgator anyway, they are beginning ot get a rep for doing thsi. And alem you must have them mistaken for someone else because I have heard nothing but negative about hostgator. Like I said if you had some low traffic crap it wouldnt matter but if you have a site that remotely uses what you are allocated you will get screwed.

But that is ridiculous they done that, just another incident to prove the argument that they are a big joke. I guess thats why I got a server in the first place so crap like that cant happen. I currently have a server at rackmounted.com they are great guys and would never ever just go in and delete my stuff no matter what the reason. They dont care what I have as long as it is legal and stupid complains like the one that got you screwed just get forwarded to me.

I post gpl products that people try to sell elsewhere on my site for free as it is my right under the gpl and I get all kinds of stupid complaints and lawsuit threats when they dont even have a leg to stand on.

Rackmounted's shared hosting is www.serve.com I guarantee you that you wouldnt have that problem with them. As long as you have only legal content they dont care. They even support free speech websites unlike most other hosts.

I am not on HostGator, but I've been on other alleged "overselling" hosts, and I can tell you that the biggest problem is not so much with the offers, but the fact that exceptions are often buried in long terms of service that customers should, but don't, consult.

Here, for example, is what HostGator says, officially, about this:

7a.) Resource Usage
User may not:
a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
b) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
c) Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.
d) Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
e) Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. Please note that you may link to torrents off server, but may not host or store them.
f) Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
g) Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield1942, etc
h) Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes

The issue of resource abuse simply means that you are hogging the RAM and/or CPU power of your server. That's the limit of any shared hosting plan, and it would come into play even if the absolute limits of disk storage and bandwidth aren't achieved.

Database-driven sites, such as message boards, blogs, etc., are the worst offenders. You add a few extra scripts or mods to the picture, and everything soars as soon as your site becomes popular.

In saying that, the cheap plans with lots of features are great ways to run small sites or to start your business. When things get to be a little too busy for shared, then you check a host's other options or move elsewhere.

But I would not condemn all hosts for premature suspension/termination without cause. There are usually reasons, and they're mostly valid.

Now about charging a customer for services after cancellation, if the host won't refund the charges, go to your bank and tell them what's going on. File a dispute. That should settle this in short order.

MorePen
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
what action did you take against the competitor? i am sorry to hear about your experience, nonetheless.....

arslan220
07-11-2009, 07:41 AM
i think host gator is great company from where you got this scam.

Jennifer
09-09-2009, 01:51 AM
No they are one of the most trusted hosts out there.

willi123456
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
they lie. on their sign up page it says cpanel is included in ALL vps accounts, but it isn't, they mislead you to take your money, forget them webkeepers is better

fiberpools
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the details. I won't allow Hostgator to put the bite on me. who are associated with HostGator?

DanielChew
05-15-2012, 12:16 AM
I believed this thread OPs is kinda mad as he have posted the same things all around the forum, according to his stories and I don't agree with the method that been practice in their company. Not basically target the indian work force but the 3rd party support from India is causing some problem but no doubts most of them is skillful.

Noted, your information and will bear in mind for this sharing.

Manov
05-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks for sharing.

rosesmark
08-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Recently, Google also updated about content copyright along DMCA so, if anyone
copy content from other site then that site come under red light but I want ask that
if I copy image from other site and add in my site and put referral link so, it also come in copy right?

fuzzler
01-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Just an FYI, ever since they got acquired by EIG, their support service just suffered a lot.

robert
01-19-2015, 08:03 AM
So after finding these interesting but very valid reasons to belive that this DMCA complaint had no legal bearing in a court of law, we file a counter DMCA notice within about 30 minutes. Since HostGator uses ThePlanet, it would be ThePlanet’s copyright agent which would handle the complaint and determine whether or not the site could remain up. I send the official counter DMCA notice to both HostGator and ThePlanet directly.