PDA

View Full Version : What is better VPS or dedicated server?

Peligino
05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I wanna know what is the main difference between VPS and dedicated server plans? The reason for my asking is that I am going to deal with exmasters.com and don't really know what hosting solution is better to choose for me.
I would be very pleased if you help me!

RH1
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
With VPS you are sharing a dedicated server with others but with the software it is "like" having your own dedicated server. You can host your own applications, change settings on how it acts etc...

With Dedicated server, you lease the whole thing and choose what you install onto it etc... Your in "full" control.

VPS is great for starting out, and especially great if your not installing applications that dont take up a lot of resource - like Icecast, Shoutcast hosting etc...

Ive never used a VPS so I could be off a little on my description

LDHosting
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
It depends on what you want to do with it really, a VPS is a lot cheaper than a Dedicated Server and that's why people would look for a VPS if they're not planning to do all that much, but still need the freedom that Shared Hosting doesn't provide.

Like already mentioned, a VPS is still shared with other people, so its speed will greatly depend on what other people are doing with it. Overselling VPS's is harder than Shared Hosting, but it deffinately still happens, especcially on the RAM. If you decide to go with a VPS, do NOT rely on 'burstable RAM' because chances are it isn't available when you need it most.

RackSolidHost
05-13-2009, 09:36 PM
what are your requirements? how many simultaneous users does your site gets?
give us as much details as you can and we will help you decide :)

Hoster
05-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Better have your own datacenter.

Everything depends of what do you need to host and how much would you like to spend on this.

As for providers offering better service I would name santrex.net with their off and onshore VPS and dedicated servers where everything is allowed for reasonable price, and also webintellects.com which have resourceful and feature-rich linux and windows VPS and dedicated plans.

Glow
05-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Since VPS has had much better uptime, is much faster, and gives you much more freedom, since you can install any panel you want, I can recommend you to choose VPS hosting solution. But as for the company, you shouldn't be so confident in choosing, because there are many web hosting providers out there and you can find the best place if you check as much as possible web hosting offers. Have a look at a2hosting.com - I can assure you that it is able to meet all your expectations.

RH1
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
glow ... Why would VPS have more better uptime than a dedicated server? Doesnt VPS sit on a dedicated server?

LDHosting
05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
glow ... Why would VPS have more better uptime than a dedicated server? Doesnt VPS sit on a dedicated server?

Indeed it does. With a dedicated server you just have to be lucky to see no downtime or any other issues with the datacenter. With a VPS you're looking at the same issues, plus any other people on the same server that might be slowing the VPS down.

RH1
05-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Thats what I was thinking, Ive never used VPS only leased my own dedicated servers - so I was trying to figure out why Glow said VPS would be less downtime. Maybe he can give us some insight to he meant next time he is on.

Oracle
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Dedicated Web Servers are the work horses that make it possible for us to do transactions on the web or to fetch information from websites / internet. Howver advancements in web server technology has made it possible to get one “smart” machine that can do the work of dozens of old fashioned Dedicated Servers - in a better and cheaper way. They are called as VPS - Virtual Private Servers.........

Bull
05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
You will get full root access if you order dedicated server at exmasters.com.
What are your requirements? I have found out that this reputable company offered metered and unmetered servers. So, I can highly recommend you to choose metered one suitable for your needs.

bob
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Depends on your requirement, budget and priority, since you've already chosen the host, I think better you should discuss with their representative.

Callisto
05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
VPS is like a dedicated server with shared CPU and RAM. Dedi - is completely dedicated to single user, unless he resells.

Since exmasters do not offer VPS, and their dedicated servers are bit expensive - I would recommend you to take a look at serverpoint.com which is worthy company offering all kinds of webhosting for reasonable price and of very high quality of service and support.

robseolas
05-28-2009, 02:31 AM
A virtual private server is a method of partitioning a physical server computer into multiple servers such that each has the appearance and capabilities of running on its own dedicated machine.

Peligino
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I am very thankful for your inputs and recommendations. I have already chosen dedicated server plan and exmasters.com technical support team was really friendly and helpful. I am glad to deal with this company as I am 100% satisfied.
Thanks again...

~ServerPoint~
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm sure that the choice between dedicated server and VPS is the question of the size. If you need more you need to go with dedicated server and if you need less. VPS that is the way to save your money

arslan220
08-28-2009, 12:58 AM
i think dedicated server is better.

Hosting India
08-28-2009, 06:24 AM
VPS and Dedicated is only the choice that counts, it all depends upon the needs of the website owner and the budget. Dedicated is always the best choice if your hosting requirements are more, after that if you cant afford dedicated hosting, VPS is right choice for you :cool:

~ServerPoint~
08-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Dedicated server will not allow you be flexible with moving

HL-Sean
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
VPS would be a good solution until you have enough money for a beefy dedicated server. Dont waste your time on those cheap P4 dedicated servers, its a waste of energy and space.

Mark Kate
09-29-2010, 03:04 AM
The difference between vps and dedicated is that with dedicated you are the only person with files on the server. VPS is a virtualization environment where everyone gets root access inside a virtual machine, but there are multiple people with these VMs on one given physical server. If you are comfortable managing your sites in a VPS as root, then it won't be any more difficult to manage them on a dedicated server.

Dedicated Servers (http://www.ezzi.net/) | Virtual Private Server Hosting (http://www.ezzi.net/)

om2580
12-18-2014, 05:33 AM
you must check their reviews section you will get better idea about their service and support

lisaherry
12-19-2014, 02:53 AM
We will give you a lower price, or even provide you with a month of FREE service, if we don't succeed to fulfill our assurance. Simply just check out the facts.

harry26
02-11-2015, 01:30 AM
The most important thing is that VPS is still shared with other people, so its speed will greatly depend on what other people are doing with it.

bagful_webhost
02-13-2015, 06:23 AM
I had written an article on it, both have their own features. see here http://www.bagful.net/vps-and-dedicated-server.html

sanamgupta
03-18-2015, 06:13 AM
1. with dedicated hosting, you have full control of the physical server, and complete access to all its resources. but with virtual private server, you control a virtualized machine on a server that may host several other virtual environments.
2. with VPS hosting, you share the CPU with other virtual machines, and have dedicated access to whatever RAM and storage resources have been assigned to you by the hosting company. It is cost effective and grows with your needs. Fast/Easy migration that means move your VPS to another VPS server quickly and easily.
3. With Dedicated Server hosting, since you aren't sharing resources with other customers, you normally have access to more computing power than you do with VPS hosting. It is powerful and 100% dedicated resources. No shared hardware, full control over the hardware and software components.

jacobwallace
04-13-2015, 05:10 PM
obviously dedicated server is better than vps.

jamespetervk
04-29-2015, 06:09 AM
You have written a very nice post

manoharparakh
12-16-2019, 01:06 AM
Small and medium businesses, developers and mid-sized news outlets with minimal programs can see benefits with VPS hosting. If your business is 3 to 4 years old, it would have pulled in satisfying traffic and it requires additional resources to maintain. That is where VPS hosting plays a vital role. But if you opt for an unmanaged VPS hosting, then it may complicate your website set up and configuration with delay in time.

If you are a large enterprise handling different businesses and possess multiple websites, then without a second thought, you can acquire a dedicated server. Similarly, it is recommended for large eCommerce and media outlets as well. You get A-Z access to the server and its resources so that customizing space as per business need becomes easy. You get immense support all the time from hosting service providers since you invest huge money in it.

jerryperes
12-19-2019, 11:34 PM
While VPS hosting is generally very secure, dedicated hosting offers a higher level of protection. Both types of hosting allow you to install your own security software, but with dedicated hosting, you are in full control of any security breaches.

marythomas
08-20-2020, 01:34 AM
VPS Server: A VPS Hosting (https://www.serverwala.org/vps-hosting-uk) is part of a single server where one account is dedicated to only one customer. It is considered as the best hosting platform for small and medium base website business. In VPS Server, you can host multiple websites same as shared server, but here you get dedicated space, ram which is not shared and you data will be much safer.

Dedicated Server: Dedicated Server is something very different from other hosting platforms. Mostly suitable for large base business websites. And it also comes at higher cost but gives you the best security, functionality and almost 99.99% uptime guaranty. But in storage dedicated server (https://www.serverwala.org/vps-server-india)the whole server is dedicated to one customer and he has full root access to install any type of application which he required for his website.

jesica
08-28-2020, 09:25 AM
VPS hosting is Flexible resource limits with the possibility of using other websites' resources on your server. Dedicated server plans are Massive resource limits are flexible month-on-month depending on your needs.