Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums

Forums

I would like to set up a forum and I am looking for advice. I have taken a look at a number of pieces of software (Invision, Vbulletin, PhpBB) and they all seem really good. I guess the question is then, which is best? In addition, what sort of storage and bandwidth would I need for a forum?

Look forward to any comments from you experts!

El
    Last edited by El Newbo; 09-08-2005 at 03:23 AM.

I think vBulletin is the most popular but I couldn't say... sorry I can't tell you more.

NS-Icon
    I would have to agree, vBulletin is probably the better forum software that’s available, you could also take a look at phpBB.

The thing is that everyone has their own requirements, likes and dislikes. Someone might love vBulletin, someone else might hate it, it mainly depends on your own liking.

I would suggest to test out these different bulletin boards for yourself to see which one you like best. Don't forget that vBulletin is not cheap.

SMF and phpBB are free, and I personally prefer phpBB because of its ease of use, huge amount of add-ons and big support following.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | Master Reseller
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in US, UK and Germany
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

I also prefer phpbb. It has a ton of features you can use from the getgo and a lot of MODs for it which are easily installed.

I honestly dont know the huge hype of vBulletion for which you have to pay $90 I think?
    AYKsolutions.com
    Hosting & Web Design
    Professional. Painless. Polite.
    Visit our Forum & FAQ .

forums

Hi, I have a friend that uses phpBB and he likes it because it is easy to use, has security features and lots of MODs.

As far as hosting, most hosts feature some kind of forum software in their plans. Within these plans hosts have auto-installers that will easily install the forum software without you having to do too much.

About hosting space, it depends on your plans for the forum. If you a planning a large site then I would recommend starting with a large hosting plan. You can always start with a smaller plan because most hosts will easily upgrade your site to a larger plan if you need more space.

Below are the two forums we offer with our hosting plans.
    YaBB SE v1.0.1
    YaBB SE is a PHP/MySQL port of the popular forum software YaBB (Yet another Bulletin Board), which provides the same user-friendly interface and several of the most popular modifications from YaBB's BoardMod program.

phpBB2
    phpBB2 is a popular open-source forum tool with an easy-to-use user interface and an easily customizable administration panel.

Good Luck,
    Emily Martin
    nuWebHosts.com
    Supreme Server Technology
    24/7 Proper Care Support

http://www.nuWebHosts.com

Quote Originally Posted by ayksolutions
    I also prefer phpbb. It has a ton of features you can use from the getgo and a lot of MODs for it which are easily installed.

I honestly dont know the huge hype of vBulletion for which you have to pay $90 I think?
    I guess the hype behind vBulletin is the fact that it is jampacked with all kinds of features which you will not find in a standard phpBB for example.
    Many people go for it because thet just need to install it and set it up and don't need to worry about adding anything else.
    Having said that, I personally find the price way over the top.
    And most people will never use all those features either.

phpBB is great in that way because it just has the standard stuff and you can add whatever you like to it, completely customizing it. It does take time yes, but the result in my eyes is much better and definitely more user friendly.

We have all been waiting a long time already for phpBB 3.0, and it might still take some time before it's ready, but the good news is that the developers are a lot more busy at it these days, which is very encouraging.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | Master Reseller
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in US, UK and Germany
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

PhpBB is probably the best to start because it is free and open sourced. Once your forum gets more traffic and you need more features, better security and support then you should switch to vBulletin.

vBulletin even though it is expensive has more features, can handle high traffic, better security and support. If you cannot afford vBulletin then go for IPB which has some good features too. So basically it depends upon your budget and your preferences.
    Outsourced Hosting Support || Server Management || Web Development
    Phone : 408-512-1759 || AIM : support24by7 || MSN : sales@eTechSupport.net
    24x7 Dedicated Web Hosting Support

Hello, In the past I used VB which is a great forum CMS, as it is used much more compared to any other provider also it has millions of themes and plugins present.

Phpbb is the most beneficial for forums because that,s totally free of cost and open sourced,spouse if you want to gain more traffic on your forum so you must need more feature,s,and if you want better security and support so than you should join the vBulletin.because that,s very helpful and sportive about increasing a traffic but that is expensive,but i have one more forum and that is affordable and also reliable and that is IPB taht,s also have a good feature,s so its up to you and your budget .

A forum is a question and answer bulletin board. A forum is a place where users of a particular product or service may go to ask questions about the product/service they acquired. Of course, asking the question is not enough, other users need to supply an answer (in addition to staff).

Forums, Where you can question and answer the different people and they are different part of the world. Even you can set a backlink to your site as well and promote.

You can get quality backlinks by forum submission.

Forum, Where you can introduce with different people on it and you have to answer the question on forum. You can get a backlinks from forum posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast