Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DuckDuckGo is a ad-free one. Google keeps updating Thier ads on search result, ads will be related to our needs, because Google has eye on you.
    DuckDuckGo allows an private browsing. Google provides and personalised browsing.

DuckDuckGo (DDG)'s main selling point is they don't track you. From their website:

We don't store your personal info
    We don't follow you around with ads
    We don't track you. Ever.
    Google on the other hand tracks you a lot. Considering they own Gmail, YouTube and many other big platforms they can collate a lot of information about you by your browsing habits.

For them, this is a good thing - they can give you more of what you want and less of what you don't.

For users, this can be a good thing too. Google knows I like (say) Arsenal FC so they surface more content like that to me.

DuckDuckGo (DDG)'s main selling point is they don't track you. From their website:

We don't store your personal info
    We don't follow you around with ads
    We don't track you. Ever.
    Google on the other hand tracks you a lot. Considering they own Gmail, YouTube and many other big platforms they can collate a lot of information about you by your browsing habits.

For them, this is a good thing - they can give you more of what you want and less of what you don't.

For users, this can be a good thing too. Google knows I like (say) Arsenal FC so they surface more content like that to me.

On the other hand, you get:

Targeted ads following you around, based on your online behaviour
    (ever looked at new shoes online then had ads for those same shoes (and similar) showing to you for days? This is that in action.)

You can get an 'echo chamber' effect - if you have political views of one strand, you're more likely to see things you agree with, rather than jave your views challenged. Could be seen a good - I think this is bad.
    The machines haven't got this quite right - yet. If your wife/husband/kids use your device you get shown ads for the things they looked at.
    But they're getting better at this.

At the end of the day you have to decide how comfortable you are exchanging your data for things/services.

Lots of surveys show people are, generally, happy to share their data if it means they get a better, more personalised service.

Some aren't. Those people probably use DuckDuckGo.

The irony is, a lot of them probably use it via the Chrome browser. And guess who owns that? ☺

And no, going “incognito” doesn't have the same effect.