Accurate Keyword Result

Which of these tools is more accurate to know Keyword Difficulty

Sorry which tools are you referring to? Are you looking for a Keyword Suggestion tool?

There’s no getting around it, however. Keywords are the foundation of your search marketing strategy. Miss the mark on your keywords and your results suffer.

There’s no shortage of keyword research tools to help you come up with keyword ideas…from the free Google Keyword Tool…to Market Samurai…to Wordtracker…to “spy” tools like iSpionage that give you a good idea of what keywords your competitors are bidding on/ranking for.

But these tools aren’t perfect. There are 3 main issues I encounter when using them:

The traffic data they provide can be wildly inaccurate. I once saw an example where the estimates for a keyword in the Google Keyword Tool was off from reality by a factor of 5000 (that’s not off by 5000 searches per month, that’s off by 5000 times the estimated searches per month given in the tool!).
    The Google Keyword Tool seems to be “hiding” some very highly relevant and high traffic keywords in its results. So, unless you know exactly what keywords you’re looking for, you may miss a lot of good options that are available to you (there’s a great article about this on SEOMoz by Rand Fishkin).
    These tools can’t provide information about a very key piece of the puzzle…conversions. Conversions obviously depend mainly on the strength of the landing page the traffic’s going to, but the intent and mindset of the searcher matters too. Even very close variations of a word may results in very different conversion rates. And that’s information you can’t get from any keyword tool.
    These shortcomings bring us to my favorite keyword research tool…Google AdWords.

Let’s look at a few ways to use AdWords for keyword research that addresses the issues above.

Getting accurate traffic data
    As mentioned above, the traffic estimates from keyword research tools can be wildly inaccurate. I’ve found this to be especially true when it comes to local keywords.

Often, the keyword tools will tell you no one is typing in a specific keyword + city variation (ie. plumber Arlington) when there are actually hundreds of searches for that keyword (see a case study about this here).

There are a couple of ways to get accurate traffic data using AdWords.

Use Exact match keywords
    Exact match means that, in order for you ads to appear, someone needs to type in a search query that exactly matches the keyword in your campaign. In AdWords, you designate Exact match keywords by putting brackets [ ] around the keyword.

If you have a specific keyword (or keywords) that you’re interested in getting traffic data for, use Exact match. In this case you’re simply adding the Exact match keyword to the campaign and waiting to see how many impressions it gets over the course of a few days, weeks or months.

Use Broad Match Modifier
    With Broad Match Modifier (BMM) you add a plus sign (+) in front of each keyword. That tells Google that, in order for your ad to appear, the keywords that have the plus sign in front of them MUST appear in the search query.

Those keywords, however, can appear in any order in the search query and can include “misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemming”. The words are just required to be in the search query in some form.

I use BMM a lot for local keyword research. Sure, we know a lot of people are searching for a “big city” keyword “Chicago plumber”, but how many are searching for suburb related keywords like “Naperville plumber” or “Schaumburg plumber” or plumbers in any of the other Chicago suburbs?

To find out, I’ll add BMM keywords like this to the campaign:

+Naperville +plumber
    +Schaumburg +plumber
    +{suburb name} +plumber

Usually when I do this, I’ll pair a bunch of suburbs with a keyword and add them to the campaign to see which ones get a significant amount of traffic. This gives me a really good idea of which suburbs are getting the most searches and may be worth focusing on more in AdWords and SEO.

Pay attention to “Impression share”

Whether using Exact match or BMM, I’d recommend putting each keyword you’re testing in its own Ad group. This isolates the keyword and lets you see what’s known as “Impression share.”

Impression share is the number of impressions your ad received divided by the estimated number of impressions it was eligible to receive.

Keyword density tool counts the text that you use in your on-page body text as well as the text that is used within and the heading tags. You can use this free tool to find out which words or phrases have often been used in the text and reflect those keywords in the relevant metadata tags, including heading tags, and alt text for enhancing the overall keyword relevance.

sem rush shows you accurate keyword difficulty.

which keyword tools you are talking about?

Keyword research can be a pain in the butt challenge. There’s no getting around it, however. Keywords are the foundation of your search marketing strategy. Miss the mark on your keywords and your results suffer. As mentioned above, the traffic estimates from keyword research tools can be wild.