1. Study your niche. ...
    2. Define your goals. ...
    3. Make a list of relevant topics. ...
    4. Create a list of seed keywords. ...
    5. Use good keyword research tools. ...
    6. Study the search intent. ...
    7. Identify long tail keywords. ...
    8. Find out about your competitors.

First we check the clients' business, then we discuss with them. After that, we find some competitors' sites. We also need to check their keywords. Once you get ideas, you need to analyse keywords from keyword research tools and suggest to clients a few keywords that have good volume but low competitors.

I follow a simple strategy that helps me find the most important and lucrative keywords faster than my competition. Here is how it works: First, I divide all of the seed keywords into 3 categories: The surface level keywords that are easily found in any keyword research tool (Google, Moz etc). The medium level keywords that are not so easy to find using a keyword research tool but can be uncovered via long-tail pro or by some simple brainstorming. And lastly, the deep level keywords which require active research and cannot be found using any keyword tool. Once I identify these 3 levels of keywords, I focus on assigning value to each one based on its potential ROI.