What can I do to get back my lost traffic?

Recently, I started losing all my traffic from Google and it just happened really suddenly. My Joomla based e-commerce site had been getting a steady traffic that was only increasing with time from organic traffic around two weeks back. My website has dropped down to a rank of 3 after being at the 1st rank for a really long time and it is really disappointing to see my website ranked down now. I don’t know what I should do to get my lost traffic too as I have lost a good amount of traffic. Can someone help me out in this case?

you should focus to get more and more quality backlinks to our site with your target keywords from different-2 high PR do follow sites which will be useful to increase your site serp's so that you get much organic traffic regularly by doing regular link building for your site.

I believe that firts of all you will need to understand what have happened with your site.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

Post Re:

I think you have facing back link problem.You have to produce new quality back links for your site it is the only one solution for getting your ranking as well as traffic back.

If you want to get back with the traffic that you lost first you should avoid doing illegal advertising and do effective marketing strategy such as SEO, PPC and Email marketing.

Yes, its a very pain staking but yes, having good quality do follow backlinks for your websites is really necessary...you can get back links mostly from forums and blog commenting as this is one of the most recommended option nowadays in seo..

you have just create the back links, by doing blog commenting or forum postings.

Update your site and write unique and interesting content.

Only back links will not work well.. better as serverpoint say first try to trace the problem of the site then work on it

You have to constantly do link building and nothing more than this.

You lost traffic because you didn't realize that you are doing white hat or black hat....... remember black hat and white hat is not only in SEO it is in internet marketing also....... so try using those ways which should be known as honest way.

How to Recover Your Lost Organic Search Traffic
    Has Organic Search Traffic Dropped. ...
    Search Engine Algorithm Change. ...
    Check Your Links. ...
    Investigate Your Competitors. ...
    Redesigning Your Site. ...
    Reexamine Your Internal Link Structure. ...
    Don't Take Down Your Site. ...
    Review Your Content.

Has Organic Search Traffic Dropped. ...
    Search Engine Algorithm Change. ...
    Check Your Links. ...
    Investigate Your Competitors. ...
    Redesigning Your Site. ...
    Reexamine Your Internal Link Structure. ...
    Don't Take Down Your Site. ...
    Review Your Content.