Do you need an SSL certificate?

If you have an e-commerce website the answer is definitely YES -- you need an SSL certificate!

Each website that is used for gathering and transmitting customer's information should use an SSL certificate in order to guarantee the safety of this information.

Most of the Internet users expect any personal information they provide via the Internet to remain confidential and integral. Many people will never buy your products or services online unless they are sure that their details will be secure. The SSL certificate is the only way to secure your online transactions and to show your customers that you really value the confidentiality of their data. Using an SSL certificate is essential if you wish to have a truly successful e-commerce website.

If you are not planning to make any transactions with sensitive information, then you can leave your website operational over the standard HTTP protocol, i.e. without a private SSL certificate.

SSL is a protocol which is responsible for transmitting private documents via the Internet in secured way. It's benefits are to have a secure site so that you can use the shopping cart or any other oscommerce cart on your website. SSL allows you to browse your site with "https://" instead of "http://". SSL certificate is a must for e-commerce site as its ensures that the confidential information like credit card numbers and bank account information entered by your customers remains secure.

This really, really belongs in the SG FAQ/Knowledge Base. It took me far too long to find this information on how to use the shared certificate. [I won't use it for the long term but during testing, etc. I really needed to know how to do this!]

Actually a SSL certificate gives a peace of mind to the customer, that a website is safe to make monetary transactions.

I think SSL is not 100% secured. Getting visitors to accept via encrypted connection is better way for security
    Yes I agreed with dolly there so many problem I had faced by using SSL. This is totally Risky shot.
    My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. Coupon World

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Eye View Post
    Yes I agreed with dolly there so many problem I had faced by using SSL. This is totally Risky shot.
    We purchased a SSL certificate from Godaddy and faced some problems. Now we are using SSL certificates from VeriSign which are more expensive but working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Gage View Post
    We purchased a SSL certificate from Godaddy and faced some problems. Now we are using SSL certificates from VeriSign which are more expensive but working fine.
    Obviously a company specializing in more than one field can't be a leader in all of them. Godaddy is good for hosting and Geotrust or verisign are good for ssl certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Gage View Post
    Not trying to defend Godaddy, but may I know what problems did you face while using their SSL certificate? The reason is Godaddy SSL is being used by many people and they have a comparitively large share in SSL certificate market and hence curious to know what problems their customers could face..
    RSHosting LLC RSHosting.com || UK Web Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting |
    Business Web Hosting | Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers
    Hosting more than 75000+ websites with choice of US and UK Datacenters

If your website processing payments then getting SSL certificate is good.

Yeah if processing payment good, but not completely 100% sure...

S. I agree with you. Dont make any online transactions and pay money online. Its not safe always. If you need to do it compulsarily, then u can go for it. But be sure, u use it in a secure way.

Web Site Designers