Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

404 Not Found Page

I would like to know people's opinions. Do you think it is best to redirect pages not found back to your default page, or to have a custom 404 Not Found page?

I would not recommend doing this if you care about Search Engine rankings. On of the things is because you will run into a duplicate content issue with the search engine. Having unlimited number of URLs would all point to your homepage, this will make the search engines to not having any idea which web site is real or not. You can find more detail here:

http://www.mcanerin.com/EN/articles/...-404-error.asp
    Web Hosting Services - Easy and Affordable
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee - Free Site Builder
    24/7/365 Technical Support

The 404 or Not Found error message is a HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested. 404 errors should not be confused with "server not found" or similar errors, in which a connection to the destination server could not be made at all. A 404 error indicates that the requested resource may be available again in the future.

sharing... ^_^

35 Creative 404 Error Pages
    http://webdesignledger.com/inspirati...04-error-pages

One more:-)

40 Creative 404 Error Pages
    http://webdesignledger.com/inspirati...to-inspire-you

Hello,

As per my view you should use 404 Not Found page for pages which you have deleted because it is considered as a search engine friendly.

404 pages should be used if a user tries to go to a page that doesn't (and never did) exist. If you've removed pages in your site, it's wise to consider using 301 redirects.
    We are a Colorado website design company and we also offer Colorado logo design services. Make your day a great one!

It means the requested URL was not found on this server. There are so many reasons that this might have happened we can scarcely bring ourselves to type them all out. You might have typed the URL incorrectly, for instance.

I think you should keep as it is. Because if you redirect to Home Page then the the links of the home page will also crawl in 404. So its better to keep as it is. Thanks.

The Error 404 "Page not found" is the error page displayed whenever someone asks for a page that’s simply not available on your site. The reason for this is that there may be a link on your site that was wrong or the page might have been recently removed from the site. As there is no web page to display, the web server sends a page that simply says "404 Page not found".

I think this is more important create a 404 page of a website, because whenever user type a URL which is not exist into the website then this page will appear and which shows user that this page is not found and not available on the website. We can do one thing that first create 404 page and then by using Java script we can redirect user to the sitemap of the website, from there user can browse the website.

The 404 or Not Found error message is a HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested. A 404 error should not be confused with "server not found" or similar errors, in which a connection to the destination server could not be made at all. A 404 error indicates that the requested resource may be available again in the future.

Thanks to all i did not know what is 404? but while reading this forum i get it....
    HTML Code:
    BELLY FAT DIET | HOW TOP LOSE BELLY FAT |  EXERCISE TO LOSE BELLY FAT | BEST WAY TO LOSE BELLY FAT

Redirecting is not a good thing for all not found pages.

I think it is best to redirect pages not found back to your sitemap page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast