Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web Hosting Directories- Are they helpful?

Hi guys,
    I was wondering, how effective do you find web hosting directories? Do the new users really trust the rating of WHD for web hosting companies?.
    Cheers,
    Priyanka
    Windows web hosting with ASP,.Net,PHP,Perl,MySQL support
    We help in making your dreams come true on internet!

1PlanHost
    Web hosting directories are very helpful for those searching for comparisons on hosting companies and also a good opportunity to research the reliabilty and credibility of the company. However with some directories the user needs to be made aware that the feedback or reviews can be manipulated by the host themselves. Of course this is an unethical practice but some do this frequently so the buyer should do extensive research for unbiased reviews such as searching Google and webhostingtalk.com webhosting.info among others.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

Administrator
    sure
    not only using it myself, i also recommend friends to always read the reviews before selecting a web host.

1PlanHost
    http://webhosting.info/webhosts is also a very useful tool to determine if a web host is legitimate, just how many domains per server they are really putting on their servers (use the reverse IP tool and you may be surprised), if the company is growing or declining, how many total domains do they host and where new transfers and losses are coming from. Very helpful information for those seeking a new host.

Web Hosting Directories are becoming more and more important because of how many people are actually running a hosting company. They are good for the new customer who is just getting into the internet and don't know where to look - or even what to look for. The WHD provide a good place to compare companies and plans.
    Dacsoft Internet Services
    DacsoftDomains.com
    DacsoftHosting.com
    Our Image - "Our least tangible, yet most valuable asset"

I'm agree with dacsoft, But...there are many web hosting directory on the net. You have to do more research before you join them.

If you are just starting your business, join as many as possible. If your time is limited, like most of us, then you probably want to research first and use your time where it will have the most benefit.
    DacsoftDomains.com
    DacsoftHosting.com

1PlanHost
    Anywhere that offers a web host the ability to get their message out is a good thing as long as it does not harm your public image. A word of advice when submitting your site to WHD's, make an excell spreadsheet of where your listings are and the user/pass of each. We didn't do that in the past and now years have past and we are having to do a lot of backlink research to go back and update hundreds of listings with our newer plans. That can be very time consuming indeed.

Last edited by 1PlanHost; 09-20-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Originally posted by 1PlanHost
    Anywhere that offers a web host the ability to get their message out is a good thing as long as it does not harm your public image. A word of advise when submitting your site to WHD's, make an excell spreadsheet of where your listings are and the user/pass of each. We didn;t do that in the past and now years have past and we are having to do a lot of backlink research to go back and update hundreds of listings with our newer plans. That can be very time consuming indeed.

This is a very important tip. I really had to laugh at this post. I thought that I was the only person who made that mistake. I am sure there are still sites that I need to update - just don't know where they are. Now I keep a list of each and every WHD and forum that I join.
    DacsoftDomains.com
    DacsoftHosting.com

1PlanHost
    Yeah, the worst part is that I am having to pay one of employees to do it! I suspect it will take him a week at least. We started keeping track last December but have hundreds of listings over the past 8 years that were not tracked. Lesson learned the hard way.

How many WHD are phony?

I'm seeing more and more sites that are relatively unknown and carry affiliate links instead of real information.

They seem to exist to make commission selling hosting for the same few companies or as landing pages or SEO spam pages to try and score higher on search terms.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Co-location
    Specializing in advanced technologies including Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server, and ASP.NET

1PlanHost
    Hey, it is no problem with me at all if a WHD wants to sign up for our affiliate program and promote our services. The more links and affililiate promotion and sales the better!

I believe that the reason why we are seeing an increase in WHD affiliate sites is because it is very tough to break into the already overcrowded field. Major WHD's make major money from the advertising they sell to the web hosting companies that list with them. Most hosting companies do not receive a fair and decent ROI on these ads although they believe they have no other choice. Banner ads and such graphical ads in my opinion are way over priced and the effectiveness of these are so bad that they are only a nusance now. Oh yes, some advertising guru is going to come on here and make some big speach about "BRANDING" Well all I have to say about branding is "Show me the money!"

Concerning WHD's set up for the purpose of SEO, that is an inovative idea that assists to increase search engine positioning and ultimately in sales. In fact, if anyone has any hosting or webmaster forums or directories for sale at a reasonable price I would be highly interested! I purchased a WHD for that very purpose this past summer and am looking for more.

Well, quite a few are phony, if phony means they accept fees for placement.
    www.earthstarhosting.com
    Hosting You Can Count On

Wow!

The CEO of a company that likes phony sites with fake recommendations because they "push" certain sites for affiliate payouts?

And then you "like" Fake SEO sites that spam the search engines?

Hmmmm..[
    QUOTE]Originally posted by 1PlanHost
    Hey, it is no problem with me at all if a WHD wants to sign up for our affiliate program and promote our services. The more links and affililiate promotion and sales the better!

I believe that the reason why we are seeing an increase in WHD affiliate sites is because it is very tough to break into the already overcrowded field. Major WHD's make major money from the advertising they sell to the web hosting companies that list with them. Most hosting companies do not receive a fair and decent ROI on these ads although they believe they have no other choice. Banner ads and such graphical ads in my opinion are way over priced and the effectiveness of these are so bad that they are only a nusance now. Oh yes, some advertising guru is going to come on here and make some big speach about "BRANDING" Well all I have to say about branding is "Show me the money!"

Concerning WHD's set up for the purpose of SEO, that is an inovative idea that assists to increase search engine positioning and ultimately in sales. In fact, if anyone has any hosting or webmaster forums or directories for sale at a reasonable price I would be highly interested! I purchased a WHD for that very purpose this past summer and am looking for more.

[/QUOTE]
    Specializing in advanced technologies including Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server, and ASP.NET

Advertising is fine, I'm talking about sites that say "the 10 best hosts" and do not state anywhere that they get paid to recommend xyz as the #1 host.

Or sites that claim to "Review" hosting companies and again funny thing is their "top sites" are always ipowerweb or a few others that pay $65 per sign-up.

Originally posted by earthstar
    Well, quite a few are phony, if phony means they accept fees for placement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast