Tips before colocating your servers to share?

I think that it will be useful to create a thread where webmasters will be able to share their thoughts on colocation solutions.

What should a webmaster know before colocating his own servers?
    MineCraft Server | VPS | MineCraft Hosting | Web Hosting With AXELARIS Hosting, Take advantage of offers and promotions, You will not be disappointed !

Plug and PlayTech Center 440 North Wolfe Road Sunnyvale, CA
    This post is very nice i like it this is paragraph is so nice its very informative.

his post is very nice i like it this is paragraph is so nice its very informative.

The location between Data Center and your servers should be close to each other when you are planning to colocate your servers.
    For instance, I am using Newhost.ro - they have Data Center in Romania, so it can be suitable to use hosting for European audience.

nothing else

you are best!

If you own a server and want to connect to the Internet, there are companies that will handle the connection for you. This service is known as colocation. Companies that want to have complete control over their server configuration often choose the colocation route. The difference between a colocated server and a dedicated server is that in a dedicated environment the web hosting.

Before deciding if colocation is right for you, there are several factors to consider. First, you must look carefully at the fee structure. Colocation, unlike dedicated servers, requires payment of both rental and connection fees. You will pay a rental fee for the physical space your server will occupy at the host company.

Colocation providers base connection charges on averages instead of the total number of gigabytes transferred during the month. The first is to divide the amount of bandwidth used by the number of seconds in the month. The second method looks at the 95th percentile. To determine transfers using this method, bandwidth is measured every five minutes. At the end of the month, the highest five percent of the readings are dropped.
    Asia Affordable Web Hosting Provider

Thanks Dear

Once deciding to colocate in the Datacenter you will be open to a world of possibilities. The initial thought you will want to ask yourself is how much am I willing to spend. Colocation will require upfront costs. There are both good and bad budget Datacenters out there and the same goes for more expensive Datacenters. Looking for a Colo center is much like shopping for a host. How much are they going to help me? What is free and what isn't? How much power are they going to give me and at what price. Do I want a 10Mbps/100Mbps/1Gbps connection on your rack? Do I want a rack or do I want to Colo server by server until I get enough for a rack (keep in mind this will cost you more over time). You want to ask about and test speeds. Look up reviews. Look up the location and even visit yourself if you can. Have them take pictures for you of the center. Ask about their practices and wiring. Ask about cooling in the location and cleanliness. Also will you be build your own servers or will the datacenter do it as both shipping and build costs will be a factor. Does the datacenter us Bread Racks or U Racks.

Once you have you Datacenter chosen you want to test with maybe 1-3 servers. See if anything that was claimed is not accurate. Check speed fluctuations. Once you check and monitor and decide it is good for you then now you need to decide how you would like to start. Do you want to offer more budget servers with lower ROI or more expensive Supermicro servers with higher ROI? You want to make sure that you do not over extend your budget. You may wish to integrate Colocation in with your reselling of other servers. This way you will have income to help pad some of your expenditures. You need to make sure you are not cheap with your server. Spend a little more for higher rated products. Look for ratings always! Once you have your plans mapped out you are on your way!

Now comes the game of money management and expanding. If you can get it going then the sky is the limit as long as you have income. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ServerDeals; 11-06-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Dominic Dillard - IaaS Perfectionist - Dominic[at]ServerDeals.com - I have a better deal! - 1.877.360.5417
    ServerDEALS.com - Dedicated Server, Colocation Solutions, Local & Remote DDoS Mitigation
    Tier III+ Facilities in Chicago, IL & New York. 99.9% Network Uptime! Multi-homed BGP Networks
    GetIPAddresses.com - Skip waiting for registrar or broker allocations. Pricing on our site!

Server Reliability, Uptime Scores And Security.
    Customer Service.
    Availability Of Site Backups.
    Registration And Maintenance Costs.
    Ability To Add Domains.
    Account Limitations.
    E-Commerce And Email Options.