Administrator

How frequent do you change a server?

Basically I change a server once a year, even it's with the same provider. Renewing the contract sometimes mean a better deal and a newer server.

I rotate servers after 24 months of service. That's about the longest I would want a drive to be spinning without worrying about failure
    Oliver Nielsen
    Nielsen Web Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by oanielsen
    I rotate servers after 24 months of service. That's about the longest I would want a drive to be spinning without worrying about failure
    That's true, but you don't do it just to get a better deal.

The server from my old company works now 3+ years. It is P4 1.8 with one IDE drive. No failure untill now, imaging this. It is a luck, but your hdd from new server can break down after 1 week of using.
    I guess the best solution is not to move to new server, but have reliable hardware. E.g atleat 2 RAID drives with hot replacement, double power units, etc.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers - from $59/month!

Is it necessary to change the server frequently?

Sometimes changing a server to new or an existing hosting company could be costly because you need to transfer to all your database/files and other setting like SSL etc.

I moved once when I thought I could get more features for less money. Discovered that this was not the case. The second host was not as good as the first. I quickly moved to a third host with a length in business, reliability and quality of support in mind. they are my customer sites and they trust me to do the right thing.