External or internal ssd drive?

I have a msi ms-168b notebook with windows 7. Which is better performance wise? Is my laptop even compatible?

Opening the iMac does not void your warranty. Notice their is no "sticker" anywhere telling you this. You will find a sticker on most HDDs that says that, but I know no one who likes to take a drive apart. If you open the iMac and goof somehow, damaging something, that is when Apple frowns. Apple does not offer any take-apart guide on their site, because it is not easy for most people. For a Mac Pro, opening the case and pulling out a hard drive carrier is like getting out a pair of socks. The iMac requires a lot more care.

"if i were to connect an SSD through thunderbolt/USB 3.0, how would the performance be?"
    Quit good for copying files. You wouldn't use it for booting, since that would be a big slowdown.

"on the one hand i'm inclined to think an internal drive is always faster/better than external drive."
    You are correct.

"on the other hand the interface speed of USB 3.0 and thunderbolt are higher than the disk read/write speed anyways."
    (I think you are using a third hand now. ) It is additive, not a case of having no effect from the bus. Also, the bandwidth is important, and that is a different spec from data transfer speed. That's why Firewire 400 is much faster that USB 2.0 (480). It is always slower for data to go through a narrow, fast connection than a wide, fast connection.

"just to clarify, i want to use the SSD as the primary drive, not an additional external drive."
    Now I'm confused. Above you say "connect an SSD through thunderbolt/USB 3.0". That isn't "primary".

Here is what you should do....
    Open the iMac, replace the internal HDD with the SDD. Put the HDD in a Firewire 800 case (such as at the link below), and use it for external backup / Time Machine / movies.

Apple does not offer any take-apart guide on their site, because it is not easy for most people. For a Mac Pro, opening the case and pulling out a hard drive carrier is like getting out a pair of socks.

I have just started working with 1920x1080 footage within Isadora and I am mixing two 25 fps HD movies (photo-jpeg, 50%) from a single internal drive and it plays fine, but when the compression is 75% the frame rate drops to 20 fps and the fade-in of a second movie falters a bit at startup.

If you open the iMac and goof somehow, damaging something that will depend on the accurate previous results.

I Agree with kaufenpreis.

i always prefer External Drives because u can use it as a backup if ur internal had some problems
    Geekion.com | Pure SSD Hosting Provider | VPS Servers

I completely agree with all your views guys, thanks for sharing.