According to Google, link exchange or cross-linking is a type of negative SEO activity. Google considers link exchange as a link scheme activity that is against the webmaster’s guidelines policy.

Link exchange is dead. It's not that it doesn't work. It works perfectly well for those who already have their established link directories. But there are two things that kill link exchange as a viable link building tool for a new website:

Site Penalization (Manual Action) Simply put, reciprocal links are against Google's Webmaster Guidelines. If your site is abusing backlinks – if you're trying to manipulate search results by exchanging links – your website runs a high risk of being penalized by Google.

The exchange of links or cross-links is a type of negative SEO activity, according to Google. Google considers the exchange of links to be a link activity that runs counter to the policy of the webmaster.

Best Mobile App Development Companies in Hyderabad
    Best Mobile App Development Company in Hyderabad
    Top Mobile App Development Companies in Hyderabad
    Top Mobile App Development Company in Hyderabad

Reciprocal links occur when two websites exchange backlinks to each other, usually for SEO ... I knew some SEO theory, but I had yet to put it into practice. ... I was an SEO newbie and my moral compass wasn't well-tuned.

As long as you are placing contextual links and it looks natural to the Google Bots, it's ethical.

Backlink exchanges are a technique used to build backlinks and increase search engine ranking, but they are harmful and not recommended by Google so I suggest you avoid this type of techniques otherwise it is harmful to your site.
    MilesWeb :: Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    Secure Virtual Environment | Dedicated Servers | eCommerce Hosting | WordPress Hosting

Reciprocal links occur when two websites exchange backlinks to each other, usually for SEO ... I knew some SEO theory, but I had yet to put it into practice. ... I was an SEO newbie and my moral compass wasn't well-tuned.

This type of backlinking is as ethical as it comes. It's completely natural, and it benefits everyone involved. Readers find interesting content, and site owners gain traffic, brand awareness, and possibly even conversions.

There are plenty of techniques which people are using to rank their website and many of those techniques aren't ethical in the eyes of google and link exchange is also one of such techniques but they are still effective in many cases. I suggest you to do three way or four way link exchange rather than just reciprocal link exchanges.