Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is better VPS or dedicated server?

I wanna know what is the main difference between VPS and dedicated server plans? The reason for my asking is that I am going to deal with exmasters.com and don't really know what hosting solution is better to choose for me.
    I would be very pleased if you help me!

With VPS you are sharing a dedicated server with others but with the software it is "like" having your own dedicated server. You can host your own applications, change settings on how it acts etc...

With Dedicated server, you lease the whole thing and choose what you install onto it etc... Your in "full" control.

VPS is great for starting out, and especially great if your not installing applications that dont take up a lot of resource - like Icecast, Shoutcast hosting etc...

Ive never used a VPS so I could be off a little on my description

It depends on what you want to do with it really, a VPS is a lot cheaper than a Dedicated Server and that's why people would look for a VPS if they're not planning to do all that much, but still need the freedom that Shared Hosting doesn't provide.

Like already mentioned, a VPS is still shared with other people, so its speed will greatly depend on what other people are doing with it. Overselling VPS's is harder than Shared Hosting, but it deffinately still happens, especcially on the RAM. If you decide to go with a VPS, do NOT rely on 'burstable RAM' because chances are it isn't available when you need it most.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

what are your requirements? how many simultaneous users does your site gets?
    give us as much details as you can and we will help you decide
    RackSolidHost
    █ Premium Hosting At Your Fingertips
    No Overselling - LiquidWeb datacenter - 99.9% uptime guarantee - 15 day guarantee
    Check Our Specials

Better have your own datacenter.

Everything depends of what do you need to host and how much would you like to spend on this.

As for providers offering better service I would name santrex.net with their off and onshore VPS and dedicated servers where everything is allowed for reasonable price, and also webintellects.com which have resourceful and feature-rich linux and windows VPS and dedicated plans.

Since VPS has had much better uptime, is much faster, and gives you much more freedom, since you can install any panel you want, I can recommend you to choose VPS hosting solution. But as for the company, you shouldn't be so confident in choosing, because there are many web hosting providers out there and you can find the best place if you check as much as possible web hosting offers. Have a look at a2hosting.com - I can assure you that it is able to meet all your expectations.

glow ... Why would VPS have more better uptime than a dedicated server? Doesnt VPS sit on a dedicated server?

Quote Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
    glow ... Why would VPS have more better uptime than a dedicated server? Doesnt VPS sit on a dedicated server?
    Indeed it does. With a dedicated server you just have to be lucky to see no downtime or any other issues with the datacenter. With a VPS you're looking at the same issues, plus any other people on the same server that might be slowing the VPS down.
    Quality European Web Hosting - LDHosting.com
    High Quality, Low Cost Web Hosting Services
    www.ldhosting.com

Thats what I was thinking, Ive never used VPS only leased my own dedicated servers - so I was trying to figure out why Glow said VPS would be less downtime. Maybe he can give us some insight to he meant next time he is on.

Dedicated Web Servers are the work horses that make it possible for us to do transactions on the web or to fetch information from websites / internet. Howver advancements in web server technology has made it possible to get one “smart” machine that can do the work of dozens of old fashioned Dedicated Servers - in a better and cheaper way. They are called as VPS - Virtual Private Servers.........

You will get full root access if you order dedicated server at exmasters.com.
    What are your requirements? I have found out that this reputable company offered metered and unmetered servers. So, I can highly recommend you to choose metered one suitable for your needs.

Depends on your requirement, budget and priority, since you've already chosen the host, I think better you should discuss with their representative.
    Last edited by bob; 05-25-2009 at 10:56 AM.

VPS is like a dedicated server with shared CPU and RAM. Dedi - is completely dedicated to single user, unless he resells.

Since exmasters do not offer VPS, and their dedicated servers are bit expensive - I would recommend you to take a look at serverpoint.com which is worthy company offering all kinds of webhosting for reasonable price and of very high quality of service and support.

A virtual private server is a method of partitioning a physical server computer into multiple servers such that each has the appearance and capabilities of running on its own dedicated machine.
    Rob
    Web server monitoring is a new tool for your server.

I am very thankful for your inputs and recommendations. I have already chosen dedicated server plan and exmasters.com technical support team was really friendly and helpful. I am glad to deal with this company as I am 100% satisfied.
    Thanks again...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast