How should I install programs without digital signatures?

Hi,
    If my antivirus warns at the time of installation that the program does not have digital signatures, should I install it or not? In general is there any way to decide whether a freely available software available on internet is safe to install?
    Thanks

Hi ClayDweller,

It is a security feature that makes it much more difficult for average users to install the programs without digital signatures on their systems. It could cause crashes and open gaping security holes.

Could you provide some more details like what application you are trying to install and operating system details ? Since have some tips to run a particular application/program that doesn't have a valid digital signature.

Click the Start menu and select Settings.
    Click Update and Security.
    Click on Recovery.
    Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
    Click Troubleshoot.
    Click Advanced options.
    Click Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.